Bypassing Christmas Light Controller

Peter Aberdeen

New elf
Christmas Lights Controller.jpg
IMG_1580.JPG

Hello from Aberdeen. I was wondering if someone could advise me how to bypass the light controller shown in the attached photo. (To keep the Dobbies 2m x 2m LED Net lights from flashing and just have them on constantly). Searched this website but could not find a similar controller).

Last edited:

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Hi Peter. That is a "2-wire" controller and can't be bypassed as such.

In theory you could run it from an AC power supply and it would stay on, but it will be flickery.

At present the only option is a 2-wire controller, but that would be controlled by a computer, not just steady on.

I have thought of making a little PCB to give the steady on effect, but you'd still need another DC power supply.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Actually, I have two more ideas for this.

The first is to add a memory chip to the unused IC2 position on the PCB. This should give you the memory function so that it will remember the steady setting after being powered off each night.

The IC you need is a 24C02 in a SOIC8 package. Farnell (UK) have them (LINK) as do RS Components (LINK). Make sure you solder the chip in the right way around. The chamfered side of the chip will be on the left in your photo.

My second idea to to supply a replacement chip for the micro-controller chip (IC1 in your photo). This would just make it steady all of the time and it would not have any patterns at all.

Peter Aberdeen

New elf
David - Thanks for that - lights worked fine after fitting the IC you recommended. Just tried the same with a second set of the same lights and due to miscommunication the original chip was replaced by mistake. Could you let me know the retail spec of the original chip in the photo so that I can order a new one. (Tried searching 180705862 and 160705862 but to no avail).