Can I Change the Default View Layout in xLights

Max Kabilafkas

Apprentice elf
Hey everyone

I have a potentially complicated question that I wasn't able to get an answer for during the Sydney mini.

I am getting constantly frustrated with the default grid layout on the View window not lining up with the beats of the songs I am sequencing. I realize this is because the vertical lines of the default grid layout are lined up with the clock markings of the song (every 0.25 sec) and the songs that I use firstly have an offset due to the intro of the track and after that, their beat is not a multiple of 60bpm.

If that doesn't make sense I have tried to visualize it below. The blue arrows point to the vertical lines of the default grid layout on the view window (every 0.25 sec) and the red lines show the beat markings of my song. As you can see they don't line up which adds an extra layer of frustration when trying to line up an effect accurately. 1625191064633.png
I realize that I can set up timing tracks that I can use, but I can always see these default lines behind them.

Is there a way to:

1 - Change the the frequency of the vertical lines of the default grid to not line up with the clock?
or
2 - Turn off the vertical lines of the default grid?

Thanks!

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
You can turn off the grid but you then lose the snap to functionality.
I'm not sure I understand your terminology of lining up with a "clock"??
The built in QM Vamp plugin does a pretty good job of getting beats and bars extremely close for most songs with a steady beat. Sometimes making the sequence 40FPS (25ms) so the lines can be nudged much closer to beats if required.
If it's not doing a great job, I find (personally) the easiest way is to create a new timing track, press play and then hit the T key to place a manual timing mark when you want/need them. You can also click on the timing track where you want another timing mark to be placed.

Zuseleets

Full time elf
Hey everyone

I have a potentially complicated question that I wasn't able to get an answer for during the Sydney mini.

I am getting constantly frustrated with the default grid layout on the View window not lining up with the beats of the songs I am sequencing. I realize this is because the vertical lines of the default grid layout are lined up with the clock markings of the song (every 0.25 sec) and the songs that I use firstly have an offset due to the intro of the track and after that, their beat is not a multiple of 60bpm.

If that doesn't make sense I have tried to visualize it below. The blue arrows point to the vertical lines of the default grid layout on the view window (every 0.25 sec) and the red lines show the beat markings of my song. As you can see they don't line up which adds an extra layer of frustration when trying to line up an effect accurately. View attachment 17255
I realize that I can set up timing tracks that I can use, but I can always see these default lines behind them.

Is there a way to:

1 - Change the the frequency of the vertical lines of the default grid to not line up with the clock?
or
2 - Turn off the vertical lines of the default grid?

Thanks!
It seems like the issue you have is seeing two timing marks, and you just want to see one? Make sure you have just one timing track selected. Then you should just see the one set of coloured time markings.

keithsw1111

Senior elf
When you create the sequence and you choose 20 or 40 frames a second you are choosing that minimum time division. You can never set a timing mark between such a mark.
As I explained in my recent video you also don’t need to. When you face a situation where you think you have this problem always go early. Watch my video to understand why.