Can I substitute one version of a particular song for another version?

DanJ

Full time elf
I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried to substitute one version of a song for another version of the same song. For example, I sequenced the studio version of MS' God Bless Ye Merry, Gentlemen. I would like to substitute the live version for the studio version for Christmas 2014. Any advice? Thanks so much in advance.

AussieDoug

Full time elf
So from what you are saying you want to change the music to an existing sequence.
Some things we may need to know is,
What software are you using?
Are the songs the same length?
Are they the same tempo / beat?
If you play them both at the same time do they sound similar?

JPB

Full time elf
I don't think you could do a "drag and drop" type substitution. But as long as the tempo is the same you might be able to use the original sequence as a start point for the new one. If the sequencing is really tight to the beat it might be more trouble than it is worth.

You may need to pad out or subtract bits from the sequence to allow for longer or shorter intros and extra bits that are in the live version of the song.

Make a backup of the original sequence, load the new audio and look at the result in preview and then decide which way to go.

Jon

Bird

LOR user
Although it should be easy to switch the song, if your picky about your sequencing things may not quite line up on the new version as they did with the original version.

DanJ

Full time elf
Thanks very very much for all the responses.

I "was" using LOR S3 last Christmas.
I will use HLS this year.
I think I will import the LOR file into HLS as a dummy file, use the live version as the audio and see how it works. I anticipate I will might have to "push & pull" the music to get it line up with the sequence.
I couldn't figure out how to "compare" two songs in Audacity; I tried to lay both against each other in an attempt to listen to both and see what differences there are.

Anyway, thanks again!!
I will post the results.
Will probably be several weeks. Still catching up being a year behind on landscaping stuff... And thoroughly enjoying the nice spring weather.