Case and wiring.

Archades

New elf
Hi, so this year I decided to get myself an e682 which arrived a few days ago and I am looking to get nice case for it, that will hopefully fit a standard power supply next to it (either a computer PSU or the typical 30a 12v style PSU's that many seem to use).

The board is 4x7inchs so (102mm*177mm) and PSU's are usually 5.9 × 3.4 × 5.5 in (150 × 86 × 140mm) for a PC PSU and the typical wireityourself style psu looks to be around 216 x 115 x 50mm. CG1500 seems to be one option but I cannot find it in Australia, I live near Cairns, QLD so being waterproof is absolutely vital since I am between the 2 wettest towns in the country:p.

Also looking for a decent place to get some cheapish but decent 12AWG wire or thereabouts. I'll be running 12v pixels and possibly 5v ws2812b strips (unless someone can link me to individually addressable 12v strips that will run on the e682!).

Also are there waterproof connectors for 12AWG 2core that are fairly cheap and people use a lot here?

I do have 305meters of 14/020 6core security cable which I could use but I couldn't find the exact AWG of it to know the current capabilities, anyone know exactly what size it is? I believe it is around 21AWG but I'd like to double check with others. I believe it's around 45.2ohm/km.

I plan on running about 10meters of http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/50nodes-DC12V-WS2811-LED-technicolor-pixel-waterproof-full-color/701799_922175400.html which I am guessing is 30mA per pixel with all 3 colours lit up? Using power injection at both ends of the cable with the 14/060 cable and 3 pairs, I would guess that the power drop for 10m would be 3amp * 0.452 = 1.356v / 3 = 0.452v loss if powered by one, would I be halving that if both sides are injected? So 0.226v loss? Using 14/060 wire in 3pairs for power transmission, what power injection spacing would you recommend?

Thanks.

Archades

New elf

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Im wondering why you need 12 guage wiring and plugs

If using the security cable that is 14/020 then that is approx 21 guage and is 0.043 ohms per metre

Archades

New elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Im wondering why you need 12 guage wiring and plugs

If using the security cable that is 14/020 then that is approx 21 guage and is 0.043 ohms per metre

For the 5v ws2812b strips which are about 1-2amp per meter I think.

Archades

New elf
Does anyone know where to get a cg1500 to Australia, or a local alternative? I have an e682 and probably 1-2 psu's to house + some custom boards around the size of the e682

mborg10

Michael Borg
Archades said:
$80 each? The cg1500's are like...$15.....Why such a massive difference in price?
I looked at the cg1500 bit it ink postage was a killer to aus or I couldn't find someone to send to aus. If you can find someone who shops to aus for a reasonable price I'd be keen to know, otherwise I'm look at some junction boxes on eBay in the uk which are like $45 incl postage.

There was a mob who yagoona lights and lithgow lights bought boxes thru for like $25. They have sold out and the supplier has shutdown. Doh. Boxes have bed the hardest thing for me to source (for a reasonable price anyway)

Archades

New elf
just picked up 4 of the waterproof christmas light boxes from Masters. I will probably add tape around the seal to ensure more waterproofing.

Have 400 pixels on the way and also deciding if I should get some ws2812b 30/m strips for an LED sign.

Got the 13.5mm black pigtails, 3pin for the pixels and 4pin for my led strips and a bunch of c9 covers. Bunnings had some gutter clips which hopefully will hook in as is to the pixels, otherwise I'll cabletie them to the clip. I can hopefully fit an e682 with a smaller wifi to rj45 connector reciever in one of the boxes and the PSU in another box. Would prefer the cg1500 or cg2000 but it's just not available here which is a damn shame because it's the best bang for buck I've seen and perfectly setup!

My local masters had probably 100+ boxes up in Cairns in the portsmith store. http://www.masters.com.au/product/900030640/weatherproof-box-for-outdoor-power-connections

MarcD

Full time elf
I had three of the Masters boxes in my front yard for over a month last year. Even after frequent rain and a few Qld thunderstorms, none of them had any water in them.

greg58

Full time elf
Can you tell me the internal dimensions of these boxes please. Had a look on the web, and they don't have dimensions.
Thanks

rcullen

New elf
Thanks guys, I've been looking for waterproof cases for my controllers for ages. Just bought 10 of them from Masters in Cairns can't complain at $10 each.
Just finished gluing in the standoffs for all the controllers, they fit a 32 channel Helix Daughter board and a E8604 as well. Other good thing as well is they have provision to have a padlock to lock them as well.
I will measure the internals up tonight and post them for you.
Now to make mounts for them to hide them in the garden as they have to be mounted vertically for them to remain waterproof.

Archades

New elf
I bought mine from Cairns masters too, I'm from Mourilyan. What are you using for standoffs? I bought some 3 or 4mm mdf to try make a plate to hold stuff.

Internal dimensions are roughly 310mm length
175mm (to the start of the cable holders, 195mm to the edge in width with roughly 65mm on each side of the cable holder giving the extra 20mm.

Around 75mm from the top of the screw holder to the center of the BACK part (that you put against wall). Roughly 25mm of room in the front/lid partition in height and the raised screw holders are 10mm high, so that's about 100mm of room, add 10mm if you trim down the screw holders.

All four corners lose a 25mm x 25mm from length and width for wall bolt hole thingies. Could maybe fit an e682 and a psu on top of each other maybbbe but I'll just run 1 box per component. Wish they were a bit bigger though! The cg1500's and cg2000's are the best I've seen so far but damn near impossible to find.