Cat 5 cable

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
I would say also make it, but if you need to buy it , any electrical supplier like rexel, haymans will sell made up lengths.malso if you know an electrician they could make them for you to length.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Depending on how much you need I would go here

http://www.homewired.com.au/store/category/7/cat5e-cables

or here

http://www.electriciansupplies.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=26_250

Can always go to ebay as well

Homewired is on ebay under aushomecabling. Last time it was cheaper to buy the stuff off ebay than their website. Have dealt with both companies and both very quick turn around. Electrian supplies is super quick. They also have a set $10 delivery rate which is good when ordering wire cable as it can get heavy in a hurry.

AussieDoug

Full time elf
I bought a couple of 15m patch leads from one of the reject / dollar shops for $16 last week.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Given a choice I will always buy the pre-made ones. If you get a good supplier they are relatively cheap and wiring up RJ45 connectors can be a major PITA. The fact that most RJ45 connectors are made for single strand cat5 cable rather than stranded also makes things more complicated. You should always try to use stranded rather than solid for your Xmas light stuff as the solid is designed for fixed installations and is more susceptible to breakage from winding them up or flexing them. I have a tool, connectors and cable ONLY for when I am in desperate need of a cable as I've ran out. That's my 2 cents worth anyway :)
"About" $1 per metre is what you should be able to find cat 5 patch leads for and they are always stranded cable.

ShellNZ said:
Honestly? I would buy the cable and tool and make them yourself, you will save oodles of money. I have.

grahami2006

Full time elf
Thanks Alan.
What I need it for is to use between the Ray Wu controllers. I have one lead from the computer to the first controller but then need to make up leads with 3 pin plugs on them to link the other controllers. I had heaps last year but the better half decided to clean out my goodies box.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I've also recently purchased from http://homewired.com.au/ as it turns out I live 5 mins drive away so have saved on postage too!
Easy to deal with and very helpful with my questions around what my requirements were for home networking. Pretty competitive on prices I found (for pre-made if that is what you are after)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Aaaaargh at the use of the Cannon plugs. If you're using them then the price of the cat5 cable is fairly irrelevant. It's much cheaper and takes less space to mod the board by adding a pair of rj45 sockets. Some of the new 27ch boards have these sockets on them.

grahami2006 said:
Thanks Alan.
What I need it for is to use between the Ray Wu controllers. I have one lead from the computer to the first controller but then need to make up leads with 3 pin plugs on them to link the other controllers. I had heaps last year but the better half decided to clean out my goodies box.

multicast

Senior elf
ShellNZ said:
Honestly? I would buy the cable and tool and make them yourself, you will save oodles of money. I have.

really? For the time and effort involved, and the low cost of Patch cables, is it really worth it?

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I'm not sure about the saving. I did make one. Two reasons. I needed a crossover cable for the DMX to LOR and wasn't convinced the "crossover" cables I could get off the shelf crossed over the right wires. They probably do but I have been caught several times with lights stuff already because my understanding was not good enough. I also had a box of cat 5e cable with at least 100m left in shed from when the network at my house was hard wired and I hate stuff sitting there being wasted.

So I bit the bullet and bought some crimpers ($10 delivered to my door) and some rj45 plugs and made my own. Got to say it wasn't the most pleasant experience to start with. Then watched a youtube video on how to do it and it became a bit better. It does take a while (well for me anyway) to ensure you have the wires right.

If I need more cat 5 cables I will probably continue to make my own until my supply runs out. Then I will have a decision to make but will probably go back to store bought.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Qiang Fu Kiwi said:
ShellNZ said:

really? For the time and effort involved, and the low cost of Patch cables, is it really worth it?

I would agree here, the time and effort needed to make your own compared to pre made really makes any savings insignificant