Cheap projector for window

Marz

New elf
I’m looking for a few cheap Projectors to project some scenes onto my windows. plan is to have the projector in my house projecting the scene onto the material in my window. This year I’m just happy with a cheap inexpensive one but would still like it to be clear. Any links would be handy.

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
Keep a eye on EBay or FB buy and sell as secondhand ex school / office / projectors pop up for cheap (just be careful as sometimes the bulb replacement costs can be more than the cost of the projector).

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I've bought a few LED based units off eBay and they work well. Just make sure the native resolution is reasonable and ignore the "1080p compatible" claims as that's not the actual resolution. Mine were under $100 each at the time. Forget the Arlec ones as they are not very bright and have poor resolution.

I also got a used "short throw" lamp based projector off eBay for $200 IIRC. It's much brighter than the LED based units and is placed very close to the window so great for not taking up too much space. Other types will need the projector placed a couple of metres back from the window.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
There's a lot of Ok ones (for windows projections) on ebay/amazon but it's near impossible to recommend any particular one. All the no-name brands (to put it diplomatically) don't necessarily list the correct specs. Lumens/brightness are way over stated. Native resolutions are not always accurate.
If you don't want to spend more than $200 on a new projector, then it's pretty much pot luck picking one off ebay/amazon. Just don't buy any that are labelled as "mini".
There's videos on youtube comparing projectors, like this one from Baird manor
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrZVeC0qQ4M&t=24s&ab_channel=BairdManor

drakky

Senior elf
Keep a eye on EBay or FB buy and sell as secondhand ex school / office / projectors pop up for cheap (just be careful as sometimes the bulb replacement costs can be more than the cost of the projector).
be wary of school projectors they are typically passworded to use