Christmas in the USA

joekin

Apprentice elf
G'day Americans friends,

My wife and I are thinking about head to the states for christmas this year and would like to get some advice on the best place to go. We will be travelling with a 1 year old. I think we would like to have a white christmas. We are not into skiing but more into zoos museums etc. I know the US is a big place and that is why I have a hard decision as to where to go. We are looking to spend about 6 - 10 days. Any advise as to where to start would be great.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
I would start by making it 20 days LOL. Whilst Ive been over there a few times never at Christmas but I have always wanted to go to Boston for Christmas the TV shows make it look quaint.

Hawaii is also a great place on the way back my son went there when he was 9mths old and I believe that the sand is of a high quality and obviously tasty as he ate a heap of it

Is Steve running your lights for you this year?

joekin

Apprentice elf
Beacy

lol dont make me laugh i could not trust Stave with an award winning display lol. On a serious note my display in the past is totally automatic all set to timers. But since 2011 floods all spare funds have been going into slowly rebuilding/renovating my house so therefore my display has not made it back up to it former glory that is why i wish to take this opportunity to head over for a white christmas, before starting to rebuild my display in 2014.

as for Hawaii i went there for my honey moon and had a great time. That is also on our mind to go back there but would like to explore the white christmas thing as i cant see my self doing it once my display is back up.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The sad thing is that the bub isn't going to remember too much of the trip. It is also going to be hellishly expensive over there at that time of year. I'd love to experience a white Christmas myself but not until they work out some way of getting the snow so it can survive at 20 to 30C.
Have a good 1 Joe and remember "pictures or it never happened"

mtpurser

New elf
i can t realy answer for most of the country but i do know of a few mega displays in the north carolina mountians that may have snow and there is a zoo in ashville north carolina altho zoos and snow usaly don t mix very well here in the states.if you do decide to make the trip send me a pm and i ll point you to the ones i know of

Bird

LOR user
I am in Ohio. Wanting a white Christmas is a great idea, it is very wonderful to experience. To try for your best chance at a white Christmas is the northern most states. My suggestion would be the New England states.

Keep in mind there is a down side to a white Christmas. Mother Nature can give you more of a white Christmas than you wanted or expected, making driving/travel next to impossible for a few days. This can of course put a damper in plans you may have made.

Like already stated, as a general rule, zoo's, being mostly outdoors, and white Christmas's don't go well together. So if you're planning on white Christmas, I would suggest planning on indoor activities while in the Christmas area.

For a zoo suggestion, stop by the San Diego Zoo in California while traversing our great country. Hopefully a local resident in California can confirm my thoughts that the weather in San Diego is still mild enough in December for a chance at a good day to visit the zoo.

Of course Orlando, Florida is always high on a lot of folks travel agenda due to Disney World, Sea World, etc. (personal note, don't waste money on Universal Studios, it is no comparison to Disney). If you decide on Disney, send me a PM. I can give you several suggestions to make your visit more enjoyable. I have also been to Disney in California and although nice, Disney in Florida is far superior.

As you can see I have increased your expenses by suggesting a triangle trip in the states. Southern California (a day or two for zoo & something else), Florida (3 days for Disney & 1 for fishes) and New England states (for white Christmas).

Whatever you decide, I hope your trip is enjoyable and everything you expect.

harrison0550

Full time elf
There is only one choice. Christmas in Dixie!

Christmas in Dixie

;) The Smokey Mountains have winterfest where they light up all of Gatlinburg and parts of Saverville TN.
http://smokymountainwinterfest.com/
They have these amazing cabins you can rent for weeks at a time. The last one I rented was nicer than my house with hot tubs, fireplaces, a pool table, and a gourmet kitchen.

Then you have Disney of course..........
2011 Cinderella Castle Christmas Lighting at Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World
However the little one may still be to young to really enjoy Disney holiday.

Then there is Rockafeller center Christmas tree lighting and ice skating plus plenty of museums but then again it is New York with a baby and is going to be bad crowded and had to get around..............
Mariah Carey Christmas in Rockefeller Center 2012.

Not really sure what is out West for Christmas but those would be my top contenders for the Eastern side of the US.

My top choice would be Gatlinburgs winterfest but mainly because its more country Christmas style with the baby and snow with tons of lights etc.