christmas lights on Norseman

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
Hi all i just heard something from a passer by that made me mad i heard them say it was a waste of time coming out to look at the display all the other houses are better can a few people look at my video in the forum http://auschristmaslighting.com/videos/
and pass comment on how i could improve my display i have 1766 pixels this year and will be increasing by another 4900 pixels next year i want honest opinions i need honesty here i was impressed with my display in the sequence preview but had my doubts when i got it together i know one persons opinion shouldnt worry me as all peoples opinions are their own thats why i am asking for opinions of those in the know

thanks heaps
Lizardking

Attachments

• house4.jpg
    house4.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 32
  • house1.jpg
    house1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 31
  • house2.jpg
    house2.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 26

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi Adam,

well that was rude! I wonder what their house looks like!

Opinions are like Bum holes, everyone has one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks... I personally don't like *lots* of random things, 15 snowman and 34 xmas trees and so on... but that's just me. other people like them and even more seem to like looking at them.. but I do appreciate the time and effort involved Who am I to judge or comment. Don't let one rude person spoil your hard work[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif].[/font]

If I can offer any opinions, I like consistency and less is more, for my songs I chose a set of colours and used them throughout- kind of like a theme, this meant that I had some left over colours for the next song :) same with effects and models.. turn some off for some songs so you can turn them on for dramatic effect!

And what about song choice, there are some songs I hate, but others like them and do great displays to them, but not me. My lights, my songs for my reasons and you should do the same.

Do what you want, that makes you feel good and makes kids smile...... Damn the torpedoes and na sayers, remember Santa is watching them!

Cheers
Fing.
PS: I watch lots of videos of displays for ideas, i doubt any of my display is original... I try to repeat what I like and leave out what I don't...there's no right and wrong.

StuartW

Apprentice elf
Hi Adam
I was out last night doing the rounds of the northern GC, in particular Pac Pines & Upper Coomera. If you ever want to hear varied opinions on light shows then Candy Cane Lane is the place to hear it. As you tend to move around with the same people during the night its interesting to listen to what takes different peoples fancy.

Although there were displays that I would not do myself I can still at least appreciate the work involved in putting it all together. I guess thats the difference between tyre kickers and those that actually do something to brighten up this time of year.

Don't let a tyre kicker get you down just keep doing what your doing.

BTW your doing better than me I haven't even got anything up and running yet due to work commitments and just as we thought we had everything finished this week we got 2 huge unexpected orders that have to be in the UK before Xmas so it looks like its back to the 14 hour days again.

I will try to get down to see your show before xmas once all the work commitments are finished.

Stuart

i13

Dedicated elf
That's really disappointing to hear and you certainly disserve better comments than that. I watched your video and thought "I can't believe that is only his first year of computer control"

Really all I'd suggest doing is keeping up the good work. There's always something that can be added or improved next. If I had your display the next thing I'd do is convert the existing static lights to computer control as well. I did that here and it gave me so much freedom and control.

Don't worry too much if you're unhappy with your sequencing. It will change with practice. I look back at my old 2013 videos and see the difference.

You'll always get negative comments though and that isn't your fault. Last year I had a young girl make a rude face at me because she wanted me to take it down immediately after Christmas instead of the new year. I'm sure she wouldn't have done that if she'd come to see it between Christmas and the new year.

Bird

LOR user
If that is your first year you did a great job.
I would suggest you keep doing what you feel is right for your house and not worry about what a Grinch here and there might think.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I wouldn't worry about what anyone says. There are always naysayers.
The only thing I have found through my own experience, is that most people don't understand that the lights have been sequenced to a song.
I usually have my radio turned down out the front and as most people drive by and therefore can't hear it, they just look at the jumping lights and if they happen to turn up at a point where it is "quiet" they don't see much.
To counteract this, I have started putting more "background" lighting into my songs so there is always something to look at.
Even still, I keep getting "why isn't that working" (and that is from people that know there is music)
The good comments will come and they will be the ones that keep you going.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Mate I'm impressed by your efforts for your first year, it looks great. Don't feed the trolls, let them have their say, just do what you like to do. At the end of the day this is a fun hobby that brings joy to (most) others and yourself (when it all works!) Be proud of what you have achieved already.

i13

Dedicated elf
scamper said:
The only thing I have found through my own experience, is that most people don't understand that the lights have been sequenced to a song.
Yes that might be the problem. lizardking if you have an FM broadcast then I'd suggest a bigger tune to sign.

dale82

Senior elf
Mate I thought your display was awesome. Don't let others ruin your hard work. I found people would sometimes pick at my display because they thought it wasn't xmassy enough. But meh! I thought to myself (at least I was doing something for xmas) as I can bet you these people wouldn't be doing anything at all

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
thanks all
i was just a bit disapointed in myself i know its my first year but to hear that wasnt easy I normally dont worry bout things like that but after a year of work it was a bitter pill to swallow i will be going 300% bigger next year just hope i can makle it better not just bigger