Component tolerance issues?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I've just started testing boards in the hopes of sending some boards to the Sydney mini and the 2811DC boards aren't playing nice. I'm not sure if it is the different branded opto isolator or the fact that the original pixels were 2811F and these are 2811S but at this stage I have pretty much ran out of time to ship some stuff to Sydney.
There is the possibility that if someone has a P.O. box I can still get stuff there.

Alan

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Hi Alan.
I'm staying at the Haven Inn Sydney, 196 Glebe Point Road Glebe NSW 2037 if any help.
Dennis Carswell (Guest)
I'm travelling over tomorrow so Email me if you use this offer.
Cheers

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
There were 2 problems and it turned out that neither were board issues. Both issues were between the keyboard and the seat and were the result of assumptions.

Boards work 100% fine but I do now know that I need to wind up the current limit on my adjustable power supply (200mA isn't enough for board, a bunch of pixels and a 1A resistive load) and I also know that the $3 Ray pixel testers don't drive my 2811 boards directly.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Good to hear to got it sorted Alan. We have a bloke at work with a lot of BCC (between computer and chair) computer issues. Gives us all lots of laughs between frustrations.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
The other good news to come from this is I now know that an opto isolator exists and after using google have a very rough understanding of what it does.