Computer for LSP

Jimbo

Full time elf
Hi,

I currently have a intel 3.0Ghz core 2 duo computer with 8 gig of ram running on windows 7.

I am only using about 2000 channels this year.

I have set all the channels up, and put the music track in (mp3, 128kbps 44100) but when I press play the music jitters and and echoes. I looked at the cpu usage during playback and it goes between 85% to 98%.

I turned off all the music wave forms and other items and it drops the cpu usage by about 5-10 % and the jittering is a little better but not gone.

I am assuming that it is the computer not having a powerful enough cpu?

Do i need a new computer?

Jimbo

Full time elf
Mine isn't i7.

It is a core 2 duo 3.0Ghz. Was made in 2009

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
On a computer that old you are going to be limited in what you can sequence with. LSP and Vixen 3 are both very heavy on computer resources. Vixen, LOR and/or Xlights-Nutcracker is about the best that will run happily on a pc that old. I know as I'm running about 4k channels on a Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz laptop under LOR. I would have thought that the playback with LSP would have been smooth though. It may be the visualiser part of the playback that is causing the issues. The physical size of the screen you're playing back to and whether you have dedicated or onboard graphics might be an issue.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
I have used a computer much the same and it has worked. on one occasion it did not and when I checked the mp3 it was the issue. I would try it through a mp3 tester myself and see if that is the issue.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
That computer should be more than sufficient for your needs. I ran that sized show using those computer specs a few years back when LSP was less efficient

Jimbo

Full time elf
So after much fiddling around, ( and trouble with the computer I was using), I decided to build a new one and invest in something that would easily do the job for the next -3 years.

So for $740 I built a Intel i7 3.5Ghz 4770K desktop computer, with 8 gig ram, 500gig hard drive, DVD burner with gigabyte motherboard and cool master case and power supply.

After getting LSP going on it, it now plays the same sequence using only 20% of the CPU ( and that's without any fine tuning of the bios).

So it does appear my old computer (which I bought for $50 last year at an auction) had some fault in the CPU. Any hew, now to get into the programming!

arw01

Full time elf
Was that running the show in the sequencer or on the new scheduler?

The sequencer is single threaded and will not take advantage at all of multi-processors in it's current release version.

I suspect, that the scheduler, is fully threaded and should be just a side show for that machine.

Now the tricky part, and worth playing with, is if it installs with the proper permissions so you don't have to manually run the service, as I do, to make the scheduler actually function.

Thus far, many posts on the LSP forum have been ignored in that regard to a "proper" install process to ensure all services run with the correct permissions so that I don't have to manually run them as administrator to get rid of the dreadded cannot find the files, and the loading calendar forever screen.

Alan

Benslights

Dedicated elf
The scheduler I found to be awesome I left the computer on all month and it started and stopped every nights show perfectly

arw01

Full time elf
Windows 7?

I have my issues on Windows 8 and it's apparently a bit more strict on UAR, enough so to cause me some issues due to the installer.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I have it running in windows 8 with no issues.

Ben, I ran the Sydney Martin Place tree on it for nearly 2 months unattended and it didnt miss a beat.