Configuring FPP - E1.31 Bridge and DMX-Universes

TitanBry77

New elf
Hey all,[/size]I decided to try and run the show this year with the FPP. I have it all built and working along with the EasyDIYLED E1.31 bridge. Now for my life I can not get this stuff all talking together.I have always used a combo of LOR and Nutcracker to sequence but I've always had a computer with LOR running the show.I have (4) LOR AC boxes, a handful of the 27 Channel DMX cards, and (2) Sans E682 boxes.Is there any FAQ or Wiki etc to help with configuring the channels and the universes? I know I have to put LOR in to DMX mode but I'm not sure why if I'm not using a computer to run it, just the FPP. I'm totally baffled lol.

I am also wondering if I should have my 682's plugged in to the bridge or if they should be piped directly in to a switch with the FPP, bridge etc.Thanks in advance!

gerry

Senior elf
If you are going to use the PI to run your show, the input to the PI must be in fseq. So that means that you need to use xlights to convert to Fseq. That will convert the channel data , but the mapping needs to be setup.

I don't understand how to have you controllers setup to run , so perhaps a diagram showing the PI to routers to controllers , and which universes you have on each controller may help with assitance.

Most of the questions from people I have seen in the nutcracker fb group pertain to getting LOR into xllights first correctly and then it is a simple save to FP fseq.
You may also be better off posting this there ...
Clyde Lindsey and Steve giron and Andy Harrison have also done videos on mapping LOR to xlights. Link is on the nutcracker wiki and also fb. I simply can't copy those links when using an iPad ...

i13

Dedicated elf
The reason that your LOR controllers need to be in DMX mode is that the bridge sends them the same data type (DMX512) that the computer would if it had a DMX USB dongle. I think you'll need a crossover cable too.

The bridge and SanDevices controller both have E1.31 input, not DMX512 so the SanDevices controller should be plugged into the switch, not the output from the bridge.

TitanBry77

New elf
Thank you. I've gotten to the point of having everything talking but can't figure out the channel and universe setup stuff. I normally run LOR but this year have the Pi with FPP and just can't get the channels right.

cdbrown

New elf
can you explain your setup and someone can help with universes and channels.

TitanBry77

New elf
Sure thing. Thanks:

DMX channels 1-267 (my DMX floods, fixtures etc) - Just straight DMX that I used to run on an LOR iDMX
LOR AC Boxes, Box 01, 02, 03, 04 - each with 16 Channels on each
E682 - 1 (Universe 1-5) Channel 1 onward
E682 - 2 (Universe 6-10) Channel 1 onward

I went in to my lor configuration and changed the lor ac boxes to universe 15 and updated the channels based on the lor/dmx document. I made my dmx channels 1-267 on universe 16 in my lor config.

When I try to convert with xl/nc I get all kinds of unmapped channel errors mainly for my straight dmx stuff and some of my lor stuff. Pulling my hair out lol

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
All the channels in XL4 have to match the channels on the PI as well as what you have in LOR. I use a spreadsheet to help me keep track of everything.

I got mine working last year but will have to re-do it all again as I added and moved a bunch of stuff around. However it is the same process. Make sure everything matches in all 3 areas.

I also use 3 E1.31 to DMX bridges and have a combination of LOR and other controllers. I do not use the LOR X-over cables except for my CCR's. Everything else is DMX mode.

-Blu

TitanBry77

New elf
Thanks I'm still trying to get it matching up. How do you not use the crossover cables? I thought it had to be used or does it depend on the bridge.