Controller dumb strips

robt

Apprentice elf
I bought a "dumb" RGB led strip before i knew anything at all about them. It's not really what i need for the project since i can't control individual pixels, but it would be useful cut into sections and put back together into a few 2d matrices to use as light panels. I have a sandevices e6804 on the way, can i use it to control the dumb strip as well? Sure, easy to hook it up to see, but would be good to know i won't blow anything up first, and i don't see anything in the manual about it.

For some projects, it would be helpful to have a standalone hardware controller. Can anyone recommend a controller that will simply let me control light color and intensity with a dial? Have searched quite a bit, and i haven't seen any that use dial and also are clear that they work with "dumb" strips.

This is the strip that i have:

2031RGB+3315+3215
http://www.amazon.com/Ledwholesalers-Waterproof-2031RGB-3315-3215/dp/B00812EH9Y

Thanks

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator

Habbosrus

Back again
That's the way I'm going. E6804 to drive 2811 led strip combined with at least one of Alan's 2811DC15 to run some Big W lights + possibly some dumb rgb strip. I plan to only have a small show for my first year so this will fit my purpose very well. Some research tells me the new ECG-P12S from J1sys is capable of 12 universes of pixels + 2 universes of DMX. I know that Joe Hinkle (HLS) is currently working on a new board that will deliver control for both pixel and dumb. However this is only in the early stages of planning and is unlikely to be ready for this years festive season (according to Joe).
I think Alan's new boards will make integrating dumb strip/strings with pixels really easy, especially for newcomers like me.

robt

Apprentice elf
I'll was looking at the 2811dc board, and it does look good, it will work for some things, though overkill for others. Habbosrus, very similar setup to what i'm waiting on, both the sandevices and j1sys look pretty good.