Controller recommendations

Andy2000

Apprentice elf
About to take the step into smart pixels and RGB and would like advice on controllers. Done a lot of reading and narrowed down to either Sandevices E682 or PixLite 16. Any advice or experiences greatly appreciated.
Andy

mborg10

Michael Borg
I use j1sys p2 & p12r. I have also looked at the pixlite 16 for possibly next year.

The pixlite 16 gives you 32 universes with 2 power inputs. I use the p12 with 12 universes with 2 power sources and with 2 350w power supplies I am maxed out with pixels and amps. So if you used all 32 universes of the pixlite you would have to use more power sources and use external fuses.

The p2 is a small powerful cheap controller but it needs external fuses.

Everything has pros and cons

indyeast83

New elf
I also use the j1sys controllers 3 p12s and 1 p12r controller and I love them I unfortunately cant give feedback on either of the 2 you are thinking about.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I just about have one of everything for now lol

The biggest differences.....

Sandevices are very easy to setup and configure.

Pixlite still easy to setup but just has an external application instead of a web-based one. The configuration for me was confusing but that was my fault with the way I have wired up my matrix, not any fault of the pixlite.

J1sys products are excellent also for the primary reason that;

1. You can change the orientation (e.g RGB, BGR etc) of the strip partway through an output, other controllers cannot do this though it is likely in the future

2. You can add a null pretty much anywhere

Just to be aware tho, there are 2 downfalls of J1sys. One is the lack of documentation. Luckily many members here know them inside & out. Two, you may have to muck around with speed for lights far away from the controller, whereas it seems sandevices and pixlites you dont have to (dont have the option) and it just works.
Customer service seems to sorely lack as well with J1.

gerry

Senior elf
Hello Andy,

Depends on what you wnat to do. I have P2s and a Pixlite 16.

Echo what Shell said about J1 documentation , but lots of people have used it and help from the forum is quite available.

Pixlite support is local and very good. There is also the Pixlite 4s and therefore you may wish to consider 2 or more of these instead of one Pixlite 16 - unless you wish to use the controller for say one Mega tree.

I have not used the Es

If u plan to also add or use static lights, then u will need additional boards (Alan or David or 27ch) that can be driven of the Pixlite 4/16 (and others 2).

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
All J1sys here, I find them the best all round for changing string configurations

damona

Full time elf
Pixlite
* Admin Tool is for Windows Platform, it scans the local network for them, no need to remember IP or set them.
* Supports Channels being different way around, RGB vs BGR etc
* Only Supports one IC type (WS2811/INK1003/etc) at a time for all outputs (the only down side)
* Supports 340 pixels per output.
* Supports Static IP or DHCP for IP (does not support auto IP allocation standard when a DHCP server is not found)
* Outputs have fuses the Pixligt 4 has higher amp fuses. (Note with strips you need to power inject otherwise you will go over the fuse limit)
* You can manual set DMX channels instead of the default of 1 to 510 per universe. Has auto zip-zag setup for channels. i.e. it remaps it so software does not know you zip-zag the lights in a matrix for example. i.e. you can change the control to make it easy for the software to do its job.
*Supports local network only for configuration.

Has a kit to get you started i.e. lights and controller.

dale82

Senior elf
Im All J1sytem controllers and I find them easy to use and easy to configure. That's just my opinion

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
J1sys here.. First year using but was easy as to understand and connect. Would recommend.

Eastwood16G

Full time elf
P12S here very easy. Andy did say he had narrowed it down to two other products that are not Joshua One, but ..

damo1271

Full time elf
I use J1sys products and have found them easy to use. There's plenty of help available on the forums if you do run into problems.

jerrymac

Apprentice elf
It nearly comes down to personal preferences. J1Sys and San Devices are roughly the same Each has a small advantage over the other. For me it comes down to customer support. San Devices has quick quality support and documentation. J1Sys is very spotty on documentation and still not real docs on the upgraded controller released nearly a year ago. User support is the ONLY real way out of questions. Contact with J1Sys tends to be very spotty. Sometimes very fast and sometimes VERY slow. Contact with San Devices for me has always been top notch.
I have controllers from both but lean towards customer support as the tie breaker.

Andy2000

Apprentice elf
Surprisingly the Sandevices controller is the cheapest (including shipping and exchange rate) but customer support is high on my list when it comes to purchasing. What makes the J1Sys so popular with users on here? Is it that much more superior?