Controller suggestions for starting out (besides Falcon)

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Anything that can receive artNET, sACN (Known around as E1.31) and the other protocols. There's even options for USB controllers and LOR.

One of the developers (Keith) has Arduino sketches to use relays.
And many more people have used ESP(86?) boards with 'WLED'. Plenty of tutorials online about WLED and ESPpixelStick.

pixelated

New elf
Another set of controllers that work with xLights is Kulp Lights ( kulplights.com ). The controllers use the BeagleBone or PocketBeagle so the FPP resides on the unit. You should research the differences between this unit and the Falcon. If you like DIY then there are the Renard controllers ( renard-shop.com ), which also work with xLights. Check out doityourselfchristmas.com for more info. There may be others. I could not find information for using MCUs like the esp32 with xLights. WLED is a cool pixel controller that works with the esp32. I have tried to get it to work on my PC but have had networking issues. Perhaps it is the old PC as well as not having a cell phone to run WLED on. But I will keep trying. The esp32 is really cheap from Aliexpress. However, the data line operates at 3.3v so you should get a logic level converter to boost it to 5v. I am waiting on a couple coming from FastTech to see if it will help. I would like to build another infinity mirror using an esp32. The first one uses an Arduino "clone" and they are even cheaper. I found sketches through YouTube videos as well as searches. I'm sure there are others that can fill you in with more information I am not yet aware of.

RobertG

New elf
I am new to this as well and have just bought a controller (HE123 MK2) from Hansen Electronics (Australian supplier). Like the Kulp controller it uses the beaglebone FPP. I’m only just setting it up and haven’t connected any lights to it yet but all looks good so far.

Reactions: AAH

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I would second the BBB for a startup controller using either Hansons board or if you are just wanting to tinker and haven't got too much cable between the BBB and your lights, just go directly into the outputs for a bit of a play around to get used to how everything runs. Less than $100 and you have a controller that can do more lights than you could find a spot for them on the house. It's just not as plug and play friendly as a lot of the off the shelf boards are.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I want to take a step back for a moment, before this turns into "how about this".
Do we know where @Lowbridge defines "I really don’t want to dive in the deep in yet" ?

Is it complexity or the cost of the controller?
Kulp board VS Falcon doesn't matter much since they're close in price and complexity.

If the thread starter is meaning a beginning point, is FPP stand a good start with a string of pixels or is it over the top? - A big controller gets them started for a large show, but do they want it right now?

Second question is the controller's state. DIY or Ready made?
Obviously ready-made comes with convince but also cost.

I would like @Lowbridge to give us an idea of what they want and price point.
Please tell us what your plans are. We don't know if you're just wanting lights on an indoor tree or the house decorated outside.

i13

Dedicated elf
The number of large-capacity controller options is growing and they're becoming cheaper. It may not be worth looking for a smaller controller because they're not much cheaper or simpler than a large-capacity controller.

Another non-Falcon option that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet is the PixLite series from Advatek: https://www.advateklights.com/
There's a wiki page listing a few options here: https://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/Pixel-Controllers

TerryK

Retired Elf
Just starting and I really don’t want to dive in the deep in yet
I think I would suggest a RPi (Raspberry Pi) and Pi-Hat. A RPi can be obtained from numerous US retailers in the $40 range for the SBC (Small Board Computer) itself and the Pi-Hat from Falcon for $35 (last time I checked). For software on the RPi, FP (Falcon Player) which is a free download, relatively easy to understand, and works with/along side xLights. FP and a Pi-Hat will work with version 3 RPis and they are a bit cheaper than the RPi version 4s.
I suggest avoiding the RPi starter packs as any pieces/parts aside of the RPi (and flash card perhaps) likely will not be able to be used.

There are of course as mentioned, alternatives. I would also suggest using a pixel driver (cape/hat/whaterver) rather than attempting to power a pixel string or strip directly from a SBC. While possible, the 3.3 Volt SBC outputs do not always properly drive the pixels 5 Volt data input. If one is learning, this is a possible problem best avoided.

Lowbridge

New elf
I want to take a step back for a moment, before this turns into "how about this".
Do we know where @Lowbridge defines "I really don’t want to dive in the deep in yet" ?

Is it complexity or the cost of the controller?
Kulp board VS Falcon doesn't matter much since they're close in price and complexity.

If the thread starter is meaning a beginning point, is FPP stand a good start with a string of pixels or is it over the top? - A big controller gets them started for a large show, but do they want it right now?

Second question is the controller's state. DIY or Ready made?
Obviously ready-made comes with convince but also cost.

I would like @Lowbridge to give us an idea of what they want and price point.
Please tell us what your plans are. We don't know if you're just wanting lights on an indoor tree or the house decorated outside.
Please forgive my lack of knowledge, basically I wanna do the front of my house maybe around 150 lineal feet. So I was just trying to figure out where to start I’ve watched a lot of videos and read up a lot on LEDs specifically dumb versus smart and then the controllers falcon and I think the other one is klup Not sure. also did some homework on power supplies meanwell seems to be the top-of-the-line ones or the go to ones.as far as going in to deep i’m not looking to do 3000 pixels right out the gate so I don’t need all of the large equipment that probably comes with all of that that’s what I meant by going into deep in the beginning or out the gate. I am a beginner so I didn’t want to make things too complicated starting out. I’ve seen the ready-made ones 400 bucks out the door I guess I could go that route but I thought I would just put one together myself therefore I would need to ask questions. So to recap i’d like to do about 150 lineal feet of my house a couple of windows and a door all included no yard props. in 12v . Just the house. And I was only wondering where to get the equipment necessary to complete my little show and if anyone had any suggestions or sites.

Lowbridge

New elf
I’m converting from all incandescent two LED that’s another reason why I said I didn’t wanna go into deep yet I don’t have the time

Attachments

• 37D5CBE1-1E79-4A6E-9C85-2318AACB768C.png
    37D5CBE1-1E79-4A6E-9C85-2318AACB768C.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 13

Lowbridge

New elf
I think I would suggest a RPi (Raspberry Pi) and Pi-Hat. A RPi can be obtained from numerous US retailers in the $40 range for the SBC (Small Board Computer) itself and the Pi-Hat from Falcon for $35 (last time I checked). For software on the RPi, FP (Falcon Player) which is a free download, relatively easy to understand, and works with/along side xLights. FP and a Pi-Hat will work with version 3 RPis and they are a bit cheaper than the RPi version 4s.
I suggest avoiding the RPi starter packs as any pieces/parts aside of the RPi (and flash card perhaps) likely will not be able to be used.

There are of course as mentioned, alternatives. I would also suggest using a pixel driver (cape/hat/whaterver) rather than attempting to power a pixel string or strip directly from a SBC. While possible, the 3.3 Volt SBC outputs do not always properly drive the pixels 5 Volt data input. If one is learning, this is a possible problem best avoided.
Thank you for the advice

Lowbridge

New elf
Another set of controllers that work with xLights is Kulp Lights ( kulplights.com ). The controllers use the BeagleBone or PocketBeagle so the FPP resides on the unit. You should research the differences between this unit and the Falcon. If you like DIY then there are the Renard controllers ( renard-shop.com ), which also work with xLights. Check out doityourselfchristmas.com for more info. There may be others. I could not find information for using MCUs like the esp32 with xLights. WLED is a cool pixel controller that works with the esp32. I have tried to get it to work on my PC but have had networking issues. Perhaps it is the old PC as well as not having a cell phone to run WLED on. But I will keep trying. The esp32 is really cheap from Aliexpress. However, the data line operates at 3.3v so you should get a logic level converter to boost it to 5v. I am waiting on a couple coming from FastTech to see if it will help. I would like to build another infinity mirror using an esp32. The first one uses an Arduino "clone" and they are even cheaper. I found sketches through YouTube videos as well as searches. I'm sure there are others that can fill you in with more information I am not yet aware of.
Oh Yes thank you so much.

TerryK

Retired Elf
"a lot on LEDs specifically dumb versus smart"
For the cost difference and control possibilities, while dumb pixels have their uses, smart pixels are a better choice.

"power supplies meanwell seems to be the top-of-the-line"
A good choice. Quite a few individuals use their LRS supplies. I prefer the RSP models.

"And I was only wondering where to get the equipment necessary to complete my little show and if anyone had any suggestions or sites."
ACL has a supplier list, in the Wiki I think. For the USA, check Wally's Lights (MI I think). Wired Watts, and RBG Man (Utah) for pixels. I'd avoid the Amazon ones. For coro props: Gilbert Engineering or Boscoyo Studios.

Lowbridge

New elf
I would second the BBB for a startup controller using either Hansons board or if you are just wanting to tinker and haven't got too much cable between the BBB and your lights, just go directly into the outputs for a bit of a play around to get used to how everything runs. Less than $100 and you have a controller that can do more lights than you could find a spot for them on the house. It's just not as plug and play friendly as a lot of the off the shelf boards are.
This is the information that I was looking for
I’m brand new (greenhorn) I know I’ve got lots to learn and I didn’t want to go out and buy the high end stuff out the gate, most likely ima gonna mess something up. But I want to put one together. 12v enough for maybe about 150 Lineal feet. Thank you