1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Controlling Multiple Houses

Discussion in 'The Family Room' started by jediknight2, Jul 14, 2013.

1. jediknight2

jediknight2 Full Time Elf

For the guys/gals that have multiple houses in the light show. Does one computer control them all or do you sync the times up on your systems? My real question would be, if one computer controls the show for both houses. Is there any electrical issues that come up from feeding the data from your house and ground to the neighbors lights on a different ground...

2. AAH

AAH I love blinky lights :) Community Project Designer

Find Me On:
    If you are running multiple houses from the 1 computer and using dmx boards (and maybe LOR) then you have the possibility that the boards are electrically isolated from the power supplies so as long as the cable run is under 1.2km you shouldn't have an issue.
    As for synching multiple PCs ShellNZ tried doing that in 2012 and it failed badly based on the way she tried doing it. She had 2 PC's with there clocks synched and sequences set to start at the same time. They didn't :(
    It is possible that the size of the different sequences were taking different times to load but the 2 sequences weren't synched up.

3. oldmanfathertime1000

oldmanfathertime1000 Computers, music, audio, video, electronics

All houses on the same electrical grid are shareing the same ground. The ground should not be a problem....

4. David_AVD

David_AVD Bite my shiny metal ass!

Find Me On:
    I wouldn't count on different houses having their grounds at the exact same potential.

It's common practice to use isolated DMX links between buildings in commercial applications.

Plain Ethernet (not PoE or passive PoE) however, is magnetically coupled so shouldn't have any issues.

5. JPB

JPB Full Time Elf