Converting from LOR pixel editor to xlights

parts223

New elf
I know that XLights can import a .lms file but what can be done for importing the .lpe file created by LOR Pixel Editor?

Gilrock

Full time elf
Never seen one of those files so no idea if it's in a format someone could reverse engineer and then whether someone is willing.

Phrog30

New elf
Xlights can do anything LoR can do and then some. Why would you want to use both?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

parts223

New elf
I do not want to use both LOR and Xlights.

The idea is to import the Pixel Editor file into XLights and then be done with LOR. I really don't want to recreate all of my Pixel Editor sequences in XLights. I would love to be able to import them.

Superstar files are no problem because they can be exported to .LMS which can then be imported into Xlights.

The Pixel Editor .LPE files are a different animal entirely.

Gilrock

Full time elf
What are the export options in Pixel editor? Are there any other formats you can convert to that could be imported? Can they export to LMS format? When you open a .LPE file does it look like XML format that is human readable where it would be easy to figure out what effect is being used and its settings? That's how we figure things out we just start opening files and looking at them.

parts223

New elf
Yes the .lpe file is an xml file. I can post a link to a file if anyone is interested.

Phrog30

New elf
parts223 said:
I do not want to use both LOR and Xlights.

The idea is to import the Pixel Editor file into XLights and then be done with LOR. I really don't want to recreate all of my Pixel Editor sequences in XLights. I would love to be able to import them.

Superstar files are no problem because they can be exported to .LMS which can then be imported into Xlights.

The Pixel Editor .LPE files are a different animal entirely.
Superstar files can be directly imported into xlights. Importing an lms file is the wrong way to go. You will get a ton of node level effects. If you must use lms then add as a data layer.

I was a LoR user. I decided to just start over. If you want to stop using LoR and go strictly xlights, then quit cold turkey. In the longer it will be easier and cleaner.

James

EmmienLightFan

One of few displays in the UK
I don't think it is possible unless you can turn the PE file into an LMS.

Why do you want to move from LOR to XLights? I would see that as going backwards.

I was going to, but then I can sequence better in LOR (I am used to it, it feels more accurate, and I can easily hand-make effects, copy and paste more - just personal preference). Going from LOR-XLights was really complicated, I did it once, and then I couldn't sequence those models in XLights. Instead I did a sequence in XLights, then exported that into LOR, and ran the show from LOR. It is much easier to run your show from LOR and you get more control, providing you have easy assess to the physical computer.
I now go Xlights - LOR - Xlights - FPP. It works for me. I prefer LOR to FPP though, I will go back to it next year.

Phrog30

New elf
Everyone has their opinion, but as an old LoR user and current xlights user, I don't agree with anything EmmienLightFan said.

To say it's easier to run a show in LoR is just silly. Nothing beats FPP.

parts223

New elf
Well, I really didn't want to start a debate about which is better, but Xlights development is far and away better than Pixel Editor. They might have started out from the same fork but Xlights has now really advanced where Pixel Editor advanced a little. I do like using Superstar and LOR Sequence Editor from time to time, but as I am adding more pixels and less standard channels I am finding less and less reason to use Sequence Editor.
To each his own I guess.

So I guess there is no way to import from LOR Pixel Editor to XLights. What a shame.

Thanks

Phrog30

New elf
There isn't currently a way. But if you get one of the developers interested enough, they might help. Maybe that's why Gil was asking about the format, maybe he's curious. If you can get the sequence into an lms file, then yes you can import.

By the way, you didn't start a debate, that's just what happens from time to time.

James