Coro Merry Xmas Sign w/ pixel nodes

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
So I thought I'd share my build of a last minute element of my display this year, a coro Merry Xmas sign using 5v pixel nodes.

First I drew up a grid in Excel to see what layout would look good and worked out pixel spacing (60mm for those playing along at home.) The overall size would be approx. 300mm high (top to bottom node) and 3200 wide, although I've allowed for a border.
Coro merry xmas layout.jpg

Next I was off to Bunnings to pick up a 10mm hole punch and two sheets of 1200 x 900 x 3mm corflute. I cut these in half to create 4x panels of 1200 x 450. I'll only need 3 of these section for this project (open to suggestions of what to do with the leftover 1200 x 450mm piece!)
merry xmas project 1.jpg

Punching out holes was next to do. Before I started this project I tried on a scrap piece of coro to drill the holes, but they did not turn out very clean at all and the nodes didn't clip in to the coro very well. The hole punch gives a nice clean finish without damaging the coro too much, if at all.
merry xmas project 2.jpg

I then temporarily set the nodes in place to check the punched holes worked, but also to check spacing. I've only done the first sheet which requires 50 nodes (perfect, 1 string!) but alas, there are 5 nodes hanging out the back in order to reach longer distances within letters and between letters. I'm told I can "skip" these nodes in xLights when setting up.
So I'll just add 5 extra pixels from the next string and then add a power injection point, ready to daisy chain to the next section.
merry xmas project 3.jpg merry xmas project 4.jpg

More to come as I finish off the project.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Looking forward to seeing the finished product all lit up. That's on my todo list also.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Quick update.
Spray painted the front of the sheets black for more defined lights. The plan was to tape up around the lights so that it would leave a white outline but couldn't get tape straight so did without.
merry xmas project 5.jpg

Then I cut up some leftover 25mm conduit as a frame, after picking up some conduit corners. These were then ziptied to the sheets. I'll leave the "legs" off until I place the nodes back on and actually put the signs in place.
merry xmas project 6.jpg

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Tonight I added the pixels back into the sign and had to adjust my custom model channel setup in xLights as a couple were out (skipping pixels that are left hanging out back that do not need to be lit up) and now she's basically good to go in the yard over the next week or so once I add the conduit legs.

Oh, and sequencing it in my songs!

2015-11-10 22.37.04.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/AESGk-wYDvU