Coro star

mborg10

Michael Borg
I had some spare black coro in the garage along with some modules from a failed first attempt at a candy cane. I don't call them mistakes, I can them design changes.

So I decided to make a Bethlehem star tree topper. It will have 8 separate sections with dividers between them to separate colours. Have white coro on the edges and top and as many modules as I see fit in each section.

One thing that I found works great is posca paint pens. I was using permanent marker to mark my cut lines but it's hard to see on the black coro so I tried the paint pen. Worked great and you can scratch it off with the edge of the razor blade too in case you make a mistake or need some construction lines.

The star is 900 wide point to point and 1200 high.
zusy6e7a.jpg

logandc99

Dedicated elf
battle79 said:
That will be awesome.

Got to decide what to put on top of my ray tree. My star I made last year is probably too big for it. LOL

Cheers,
Rowan

Surely there is no such thing as "too big" when it comes to christmas lights! [emoji3]

mborg10

Michael Borg
algerdes said:
logandc99 said:
Surely there is no such thing as "too big" when it comes to christmas lights! [emoji3]

Perhaps when the tree topper is larger than the tree itself?
Then the tree is too small.

My tree is 6m so a 1.2m star by 0.9 wide should be ok.... Should....

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Looks like it's going to be a good 1 Michael. With a star with that much wind catchment area you'd better make sure that the stays on your tree are capable of handling the extra wind loading. There are a fair few people who have come undone with their mega trees and wind.

kane

Dedicated elf
AAH said:
Looks like it's going to be a good 1 Michael. With a star with that much wind catchment area you'd better make sure that the stays on your tree are capable of handling the extra wind loading. There are a fair few people who have come undone with their mega trees and wind.

Or in my case, idiots armed with golf clubs.

mborg10

Michael Borg
AAH said:
Last years tree had 48 lengths of conduit on it with no stays and was fine for about 3 months in the front yard. This year the conduit has been swapped for strapping which is extremely lighter. But I will be putting some cables back to the house and attaching my balls to them. Prob 20 per cable. That way my balls can shoot up the wire an light up each section of the star.
My tree centre pole is re-enforced fiberglass. Flexible, light and bloody strong.

mborg10

Michael Borg
I attached the modules to the star. Always fun to work out a pattern to layout the modules so you don't have to cut and rewire. I think it turned out ok. The light SHOULD (fingers crossed) make it to the point.
3u4e2utu.jpg

I started putting the sides on and made them 100mm high for light dispersion. My coro cutting skills are 10 times better than last year. That's experience for you.
apepe6ab.jpg

scamper

Dedicated elf
I started putting the sides on and made them 100mm high for light dispersion. My coro cutting skills are 10 times better than last year. That's experience for you.
good to hear. Maybe then my skills will get better next year ::)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
I attached the modules to the star. Always fun to work out a pattern to layout the modules so you don't have to cut and rewire. I think it turned out ok. The light SHOULD (fingers crossed) make it to the point.

I built something similar to this for my tree, but I found that I needed to put the light a bit more into the points for them to not have dark spots in the tips

mborg10

Michael Borg
Fasteddy said:
Yeah that's what I'm thinking but that's all the modules I had lieing around so fingers crossed your wrong haha

I just have to figure a way to attach it to the top of the tree.