corro diffusion help

scamper

Dedicated elf
I have been building decorations for my first year of sequencing this year and am in need of others experience.
I thought I would do a few bells /stars etc using corro and rgb lights behind it to diffuse the light. however, the rgb lights are too bright and show through too much.
I am wondering if anyone has built similar type projects and how they got around this problem.
I am thinking of either making the sides bigger to make the corro further away from the lights or even tipping the lights on the side.
If anyone has any advice, I would truly appreciate it.
[attachimg=1]

Attachments

• bell.jpg
    bell.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 234

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Adding extra depth will help as the leds used in modules typically have a spread of 120 degrees. Either that or make the bells mushroom shaped as that effect would look great for mushrooms/toadstools.

Habbosrus

Back again
You can make the sides bigger and that will help. You can also double up on the coro and stick 2 sheets together on the front. I tried this with some 2.5mm coro and it made a big difference.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If using 3mm coro then you may need to have the coro further away from the lights until completely diffused. 5mm coro will allow you to get a little closer.

mborg10

Michael Borg
I used 5mm coro for my candy canes with sides 65mm deep. They turned out pretty good
2a6e7a2u.jpg

My colours stay seperate because I have a piece of coro between each segment. I made the sides 65mm because I had a piece of 65mm skirting board I used as a straight edge. They use ws2811 modules

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
I used 5mm coro for my candy canes with sides 65mm deep. They turned out pretty good
My colours stay seperate because I have a piece of coro between each segment. I made the sides 65mm because I had a piece of 65mm skirting board I used as a straight edge. They use ws2811 modules

They are pretty spectacular,well done.

scamper

Dedicated elf
thanks for all your help guys, I have just made the sides a bit deeper and it works a treat.
This is only the mock up so needs more refinements, but at least I am going in the right direction.

Attachments

• bell2.jpg
    bell2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 41

mborg10

Michael Borg
Yeah looks heaps better. From experience use some hot glue to hold the sides in place then finish it off with silicon. I used all hot glue and it discolours and can get brittle.

Just so there's know how deep did you make the sides.

jerrymac

Apprentice elf
Michael: yours are some of the best canes I have seen. Do you have any pics of the inside and or spec's (how many modules per section, section size etc)?

mborg10

Michael Borg
jerrymac said:
Michael: yours are some of the best canes I have seen. Do you have any pics of the inside and or spec's (how many modules per section, section size etc)?

I wish I could take full credit. I just made my own version of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va4OwinH2rM
Mine are 1200mm high (width coro sheet) and each section contains 1 module. If you notice in my photo the sections aren't all the same, thats cause I eyeballed the design. I made 8 in total.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I gather the light can't get through the black coro. So the candy canes in the video are only good from the front. Could you put white coro on the back to get them lighting up both sides or do you get dark patches where the light modules are glue on.

mborg10

Michael Borg
BundyRoy said:
I gather the light can't get through the black coro. So the candy canes in the video are only good from the front. Could you put white coro on the back to get them lighting up both sides or do you get dark patches where the light modules are glue on.

yes there would be some dark patches where the modules are stuck to the white backing. You can still use the white though. Mine were against a wall so I used the black Coro and attached the velcro straps to the back for support. I don't think it makes a great deal of difference black or white to the overall effect. If you have a look here [SIZE=78%]http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=1771.0[/SIZE]
Fasteddy's coro candles are similar and have the white background