Could someone please have a look at the attached diagram and pick it to pieces.

wce06

Apprentice elf
Having looked at a number of other posts and advice already provided, I have come up with the following plan.

- I used Da-Share for working out the Watts used for the 2811 pixel strips.
- Have hopefully divided the channels up so each output has enough to cover.
- All PSU +ve's are not crossing over, however all -ve's are connected at some point.
- Should have enough power injection.

I have used the power from the controller for the 6 x trees due to their short distance from the controller and short strips.

This all looks like it should work on paper, but hoping for some others to look at it before I start putting it all together.

Thanks in advance.....wce06

Attachments

• Controller_Plans.jpg
    Controller_Plans.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 157
only thing i can notice is PSU 1 - 333w
If you are using 350w supplies, you should only really put 80% max load onto it (which is 280w) especially the cheapo ones.

cdjazman

Full time elf
I would think you could minimise outputs used.....

For example;

1 and 2 into output 1
3 and 4 into output 3

the pixlite16 can do the following; (from website)
"It can handle up to 32 universes of Multicast/Unicast E1.31 data and controls up to 340 pixels per individual output."

340 pixels is equal to 1020 channels......

I am running the long range version which handles the same per output. The way that I have only just got my head around all this is ----> 512 (actually 510) is limit of universe not output. I have my mega tree of 20 x 33 pixel strips running of 2 outputs at 330 pixel each output. But it covers 4 universes......

As such your output 1 would have universe 1 and 2 for a combined 300 pixels.

As put by heathwithnoteeth you need to add a power supply to run the roof outline separate to the controller and trees.

wce06

Apprentice elf
Thanks for the fast reply Heath, i might use PSU 2 for the second lot of trees then that should spread the load.

Thanks again, I am glad it was only something minor like that...lol...I think I have finally got my head around a lot of the terminology and setups (until I put it all together and new problems pop up).

cdjazman - is there something you need to setup for the Pixlite16 to handle the 1020 channels per output, or is this simply a XLights setup thing?

Regards,

wce06

cdjazman

Full time elf
wce06 said:
cdjazman - is there something you need to setup for the Pixlite16 to handle the 1020 channels per output, or is this simply a XLights setup thing?

Regards,

wce06

The main thing I had to get my head around was as follows; (using your setup as example)

in pixlite settings put

output 1 as 300 pixels / 900 channels starting at universe 1.
output 2 as 200 pixels / 600 channels starting at universe 3.

in Xlights
output 1 as 510 channels starting at universe 1
output 2 as 390 channels starting at universe 2
output 3 as 510 channels starting at universe 3
output 4 as 90 channels starting at universe 4

I will fire up my controller when I get home and take some screen shots. I find that to be easier.

Kitman

Full time elf
You say that you are going to run power from the controller for the 6 trees due to the distance being close. Do you mean that you will be powering them from the Pixlite? or just using the same power supply?

If you are running them from the board each of those connectors are fused at 4amps (According to the controllers list page on the nutcracker site) meaning that you can only run 48 watts at 12v per output or 20 watts at 5v per output.

your diagram stated 100w which is way more than what you can draw from each connector and will blow the fuse right away.

wce06

Apprentice elf
Kitman - Just when i thought i was on track something new pops up...lol

So each output in the Pixlite16 can only handle 48W...so the best option would be to only run data and gnd from the controller and run +ve directly from PSU through a larger fuse into the lights.

Do i have that right?

Also is the size of the fuse simply 100W (draw from first output ) / 12V (PSU1)= 8.33A so a 10A fuse is needed. Do i have these correct for my first output?

Kitman

Full time elf
Well that's according to the document on the nutcracker site. Since I don't have that controller I can't confirm if they are 4amp fuses for each output, this should be on the fuses.

If you have 100 watts draw at 12v then yes that's 8.33a so a 10amp fuse will do the job and let you have 1.7amps before the fuse blows. So if you have an issue and something draws a little too much then the fuse should go before anything else does.

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
I'd seriously consider not running any power thru your controller, just use it for data. Connect the trees and outline up to PSU1 the same method as the other models/PSUs.
Whilst it can supply power, it is limited to a Max of 7Amps?? per output and a total of 30amps for the board.

Cheers
Fing

i13

Dedicated elf
You'll have voltage drop problems if you're powering 10 metre lengths of that strip from one end only. You're doing this with your arches and roof outline. I tried exactly that at the 2016 Adelaide mini to demonstrate voltage drop. It will mostly work but some of the colours will be wrong if you run them at full brightness.

Binkles

Full time elf
Not related to the build here, but something brought up through here.

Why do all controllers seem to have full power rails going out, but everyone recommends not to use the power from the board.

I understand that longer strings require injections, just wonder if they're really just a waste of space on a board...

Kitman

Full time elf
Personally I use the power output from the controller to drive my pixels. However I am using sandevice controllers which are considered old technology now due to the fact that they can't drive lots of pixel.

I like doing things this way because I can have a controller connected up to my elements right next to the element and have power going through it and everything can be contained in the one area, I don't have to worry about power injecting, multiple power supplies and all of the other stuff that goes along with it. However a lot of others like to have only a small number of controllers with power supplies all over their display powering the elements.

Since the sandevice controllers are relatively cheap (In Kit form) I can purchase 2 or 3 and scatter them through my yard for the same price as buying 1 Falcon controller and then having to run power supplies separate from the board.

I feel the same as you that the power connectors on the boards are a bit of a waste of space and might just be a left over from days gone by. If you can control (For example) 10,000 pixels from a board but you can't power those 10,000 pixels from the same connectors what's the point?