Build guide ԆцряєсϮ's Mega Tree Guide

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Damicka10) said:
ԆцряєсϮ said:
Fasteddy said:
Great guide, thanks for the effort and thanks for sharing

My only thoughts on the method you used was that personally I would have just used strip instead of making the strapping with eyelets, just seems a lot of hard work for putting pixel strings into the strapping and eyelets. But then thats just me and im lazy. :D

Thanks Ed
I did think of using strip but as my tree is right in the viewers face and its 360 deg, With the strings you still get the 360 effect from the front, and strip would have been a different look all together.

I like the classic look of the 360 pixel trees. Looks like Christmas even during the day.

My thoughts were a 360 degree tree using strips as effectively the strapping turns the sting in a strip, but i suspect that they would have a different look and feel to it

vincerules

Full time elf
Thanks for the writeup ԆцряєсϮ!

I just picked up a drill press yesterday and now have everything I need to get my tree going!

I like the idea of using this method over the strips so that you can set your own spacing and the height of your tree rather than being limited to what the strip is set to.

Also, not to steal anything away from ԆцряєсϮ, but if anyone in the U.S. is interested I may be open to making some strands up for people. This would just be for US people and only if ԆцряєсϮ doesn't want to do it himself.

Gilrock

Full time elf
I haven't had a chance to look at the guide but I probably will when I'm ready to build a frame. I've received everything to make my straps and I finished one strap yesterday and it's coming out great. This was an awesome idea. The tip for using plastic cutting board was huge. I started out using wood and I thought I was going to break my drill press with the force and number of times I had to pull down to get it to cut. I switched to a piece of plastic cutting board and it was snapping right through the material with so much less force required. I also didn't think the wad punch I ordered seemed very sharp so before I started I sharpened it up on a 120 grit grinding wheel. After reading about a lot of people going through several punches I'm now wondering if they never tried to sharpen them. I bought two but I don't think I'll need the second one. The inside edge is straight so all you gotta do is grind an angle towards the inside edge. Or buy a metal file if you don't have a grinder.

Gil

vincerules

Full time elf
I have the majority of my straps punched with holes and have gotten started on putting the grommets into them. I'm ready to get the metal part done and since I don't have the tools or know how, I will be going to a metal shop for this.

I am only doing a 180 tree but do you guys think it would be better for me to get the metal for for the top and bottom rings the full 360 degrees around to help with weight balancing?

mborg10

Michael Borg
vincerules said:
I am only doing a 180 tree but do you guys think it would be better for me to get the metal for for the top and bottom rings the full 360 degrees around to help with weight balancing?

I'd make the ring 360 because you may have to add something to the back to tension it. Cable or something.

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
If youre not hanging strips off it I doubt the extra metal in a full ring will do anything for balance.
For a 180 deg tree your load points are going to be different so I would be looking at better bracing not only for the rings but also for the pole. Your metal guy may have some ideas on that for you. Especially if your paying someone to do it for you, any changes once its built are going to cost you.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Finally I have my correct spaced lights for my extra long strapping. 2013 may have been and gone but 2014 is looking straight and even.
da3a8ema.jpg
tusynybe.jpg

2016 pixels 48 strands of 42 pixels @ 110mm spacing

Tony.G

New elf
Thanks for the guide Rod.
i know what i will be attempting to build for 2020.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: