Custom Models in Xlights

msherratt

New elf
I preface my question with the fact that I am new to Xlights. I have been watching the video tutorials and am learning lots but I have a question.
Has anyone made a custom model for a spiral Christmas tree or a pixel pinwheel/spinner. I know I can draw it in custom models but I was curious whether there is a tried and tested way that works well with the effects in xlights.

mararunr

Here to learn! (and share)
3505 NW Edgewood Ave, Bentonville Arkansas, USA
Yes, there are multiple posts and videos out there on various forums and youtube about this topic. They all work as evidenced by the videos and replies to the posts. Which one(s) have you tried? If you tried one and it didn't work for you, then there's several on here that can probably help. We are hobby of DIY'ers so you will often find multiple ways to do something and it usually comes down to what you like and/or prefer or tried your first time as the method you end up using rather than a right or wrong. Hope this helps.

Gilrock

Full time elf
I believe some folks have created a custom model for a spiral tree. For a Spinner you can use the Circles effect with concentric circles. In the model setup you define the number of pixels for each circle layer so enter something like 8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8 for an 8 layer / 8 spoke spinner. The problem is that the built in model is going to assume a certain wiring scheme so if you don't wire them up that way then it won't sequence exactly how you see it in preview. To fix that you need a custom model that matches how you wired them up.

msherratt

New elf
Thanks Gil. Never thought Of it as concentric circles. Will try that. I had set it up as 8 single straight lines and then manipulated them to look like a pinwheel but it's not the easiest in sequencer to get each 'arm' of the pinwheel to light and then the consecutive and so on (ie like the spokes of a wheel turning)

Gilrock

Full time elf
Here's the settings and how the model would be drawn:

Spinner.jpg