da_dmx and da_e131. the best test apps out there

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
If you've been in chat or have had trouble getting a dongle or E1.31 bridge talking and have posted into the forum you've probably been linked to da_dmx and/or da_e131 which are 2 of the test apps that our very own David_AVD has created for us blinky heads over the years. These are free apps but there is a "donate " button on the pages if you feel like thanking David with a few dollars.
The 2 bits of software should just about be the 1st thing you fire up for testing any new hardware in my humble opinion. They're so easy to use and take the sequencer setup out of the equation when testing new stuff for the 1st time.
da_e131 takes almost nothing to get it going as it pumps out multicast data which "most" every E1.31 board should receive fine. All you need to do is select universe/s and channels and then use the faders.
da_dmx is almost as simple. The app will detect either an open dmx or dmx pro usb dongle if it's attached. Go into View>Settings. Select the universe the dongle is going to control, the channel range that you want to control and then click "Open Port". You're now ready to use the faders, chasers etc. Click "Close Port" when done. You can change the repeat time which is how often packets get sent out and a few other things but most users will never need to play with these. da_dmx can control LOR dongles for controlling LOR boards in dmx mode.

http://www.da-share.com/software/da_e131/
http://www.da-share.com/software/da_dmx/

These apps are so great that barely a day goes by that they aren't referred to in chat and/or a forum post. I personally use them for all testing and I also felt that they were "must have" apps so they were added to the latest ACL 101 revision.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Totally agree. Great little bits of software I have found a must have, especially after doing a bit of DIY soldering of lights and connections as a quick way to check to see all is working.

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
Great tool for trouble shooting.. Confirming easy to use , quick to identify issues ... Excellent for testing full strings and rgb order.. Probably will be used quite heavilly over the nest couple of months.. Thanks David_AVD.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
There's some great new stuff coming up soon in these apps.
Mwuhahaha. It's good to be a beta tester

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
New versions of da_DMX and da_E131 are available. There's a new chase mode (RGB) as well as some bug fixes.

Thanks to Steve for suggesting a new chaser mode and Alan for testing the new versions for me.

Also thanks to those that have used the donate button on the da-share pages. It goes towards upkeep of the da-share site, the development tools required to write da_DMX and da_E131 and occasionally some lights for me. :)

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Thank-you David,
Your Software and information on DA-Share has been invaluable to my display this year.

The 2 that I use daily are DA_e131 for testing and Serial_Scheduler to get my RS232 serial commands working on the projectors.

With the addition of the new RGB chase mode I don't have a need for any of the other testing software as yours is all I need and it just works with minimal setup.

With lots of a Thankfulness I have made my donation.

Cheers

Boof63

Senior elf
Absolutely required download for testing lights and trouble shooting,
Has saved me many times,
thanks
Cheers Boof63 :) :) :)

gerry

Senior elf
I agree with the above sentiments.

I probably only use a fraction of what it can be used for as I am not sure as to what the different attributes are , but it has been invaluable during the year for me a first timer to plug in the universe number , an address range and make sure that the LEDS light up where expected (or more often not !) as the first step.

arw01

Full time elf
Any chance we could see a da-artnet?

Let's just say Minleon's test routine built into the network controller and LightShowPro leave some features wanting.

Thanks
Alan

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
A quick thank you to those who donated for da_E131 and da_DMX.

I was able to buy 2 sets of warm white net lights off eBay to use on my hedge.

Got them modded today (30V DC) and wrote a quick LOR background sequence. They look nice. :)