Daisy Chain Easy DMX Controller

HoogieBurner

New elf
So I am daisy chaining 5 of these together. I understand how the binary switches work. I have the first controller hooked up directly from the control board. My question is does it wire from the positive data in leave the negative data and into the positive data of the next board and so on? Grounds all together. Or perhaps If someone could point me in the right direction to a post? I couldn't seem to find one on daisy chain wiring.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Got a link to the unit?

Most DMX input controllers are just wired in parallel, unless it specifically has separate DMX out connections.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
OK, just parallel the DMX inputs and set the DIP switch on each to select the channels you want that board to control.

HoogieBurner

New elf
DMX.jpg
So this is how I have it wired...would this be correct?
From left to right the 1st dip switch is set to 1&2, 2nd to 3, 3rd to 4, 4th to 5, 5th to 6

HoogieBurner

New elf
Ok...thinking I am wrapping my head around this. One question.....when you set the dip to the first position it means channel 1-511......does the DMX lighting act separate from the LED lighting channels? or do I have to adjust the LED lighting channels to accommodate the channels occupied by the DMX. Thanks for your time I do appreciate it.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
In DMX, all channels and their associated settings are sent to all items in the line. This is why you can chain a bunch of DMX devices together, but they can be set to different channels (as in not necessarily in order). The address you set the device to is the one that the device will react to (and its associated channels).

I believe that the controllers such as the F16 send out one DMX universe through the serial output. This will be the channels starting at x through x+y, up to a full 512 channels. It does not send the universe number, just the channel numbers and their associated values.

diyer

Full time elf
say the first three channel controller uses your first thee channels of your 512 channels, set your first start address as 1 ( use a DIP switch calculator for the switch settings) the second three channel controller needs a start address of 4 and so on through them 7, 10, 13 etc. as Al says, they can be in any physical order