DC30/DMX36

ecbailey

Full time elf
Hi Allan,

Is the 2811 or 2801 based controller preferable to use with my P2? Or is the difference purely a different protocol?

Also, when do you expect the DMX36 to be available?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The 2 boards are virtually identical. The only real difference is the pixel chip which is to suit whichever protocol a user is using. Some people prefer the 2811/2812/ink1003 as it's cheaper, mainly due to the 1 less wire, and some prefer the 2801 as you can fiddle with the clock rate.
[/rant]IMHO the only reason you'd fiddle with clock rates is due to timing issues getting the refresh rate high enough handle what is being sent to the pixels. Most people are of the mistaken belief that lowering the data rate will fix pixel issue but 99% of issues will be power related [/rant over]
Tomorrow afternoon I hope to get to do the initial firmware testing of the dmx36 boards. I have some sitting here waiting for the completed firmware but a job has been getting in the way of any work on blinky stuff. I've been putting in some late nights trying to do a bit of the firmware and also do the occasional changes to the ACL 101 manual. Today at lunch time I managed to get the latest 101 uploaded several days after I'd originally hoped.