Design advice needed for first show

BRW

New Elf
Hello all!

I'm starting to plan for a small first show, which will be some months from now. I'm planning on pretty standard hardware consisting of XLights, Falcon (F16v3 probably, maybe F48), Meanwells (maybe HP) and WS2811 12V bullet pixels. My lot is a corner lot, though there are only two houses on the circle past me on one side.

I have three trees along the main rd, they are 9' (3M) from the sidewalk, and the usable space is only about 5' (1.5M) vertical. I'm thinking that I'll use these for supports as display trees by using Boscoyo strips mounted around the trees. Attach them with a strap at the top then pull them out about 3' (1M) radius. The mounting locations are about 45" (1.1M) in circumference. I think that will hold about 18-20 strips but will see how it looks as well as the lower circumference when I get material to build with. My question is about spacing of the pixels with the viewing so close.

I see that Mega Trees are generally done as 3" (7.5cm) spacing, sometimes 2" (5cm). With the viewing angle so close, do I need to go to 1" (2.5cm) spacing? Obvilously this decision affects the quantity of pixels which drive other decisions.
1607103538163.png

I also have a tree to the right of this picture that offers more space (vertical and horizontal) to work with, I think it will work for a full Mega Tree. But it is not much further away from the sidewalk, but it will be much more visible to auto traffic. I'm thinking 2" (5cm) spacing for it. The rest of my yard is not as visible, and being an old guy with a new show I think that is plenty for me to worry over .

Thoughts?

TerryK

Retired Elf
Viewing at 9 feet I would likely use 1 inch spacing to offset the jaggies in the pixels viewed close.. At 5' up 3' out the 'branch' length will be a little under 70 inch so at 1 or 2 inch spacing approximately 70 or 35 pixels per 'branch'. Holiday Coro used to have a chart of pixel density versus viewing distance; do not know if it is still up.

Hesitate to make too many suggestions as a display is an exhibit of the owner's personal creativity. Not sure what you have planned for the home but a couple floods on the rock chimney would look really nice I think. Wally's Lights had some 20 Watt xConnect on sale recently.

BRW

New Elf
Thank you! As I looked at this I started to wonder about the spacing. I'll go dig on HolidayCoro to see if the chart is still there. I want to have an order ready in case a good sale shows up early in the year.

I like the suggestion on the floods, I'll take a look. My first show might be Independence Day, the leaves will block much of the chimney. But as you see, in the winter it is wide open.

Understand it is my show, but I'm not very creative (I'm a hardware guy) and asked for suggestions - I'm really glad you cared enough to make me think!

{EDIT]
I found the chart: http://blog.holidaycoro.com/2015/01/where-do-i-start-when-designing-new-rgb.html Their Where Do I Start blog

1607115013689.png
I might need to plan everything as 1" as its not 50' to across the street. Though I may build some up and test.

Thanks Again!

Last edited:

BRW

New Elf
Another question - Are regulated pixels better than resistor pixels for a close show like this? I've been lead by reading (yep, all internet information has to be correct) that the regulated pixels keep the brightness even along the string. But I don't know that will be an issue in a small show like this, and power injection shouldn't cause concerns if it is.
As I'm just starting I figure I should standardize on something, I'm just trying to figure out what it should be.

TerryK

Retired Elf
Close spectators will not notice any difference between the WS2811 5V vs. 12V Resistor vs. 12V Regulator pixels providing drive levels and power injection is incorporated properly. Regulated pixels maintain drive levels better at greater voltage drops, still effected, just more immune.

BRW

New Elf
Thank you, I believe my plan will allow close proximity to power, so this first go round might be very suited to 5V. Which I had not been considering previously.

I imagine many here probably started with whatever they could get their hands on in a limited product market. Now that you've paved the way there are a lot of options to consider. Thanks for expanding the universe!