Design help needed....

caffeine

Full time elf
OK... So plans have commenced for 2014.

Some background:
  • 240V LOR user for about 6 years.
  • This year first RGB - Megatree and 4 smallish-arches.
  • Next year: Full RGB
So I have some design issues as I commence my planning. Mainly the shape of the house we are in. Note: we're renting so I have limited capability to cut down trees and the like.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]This is a front on picture of our house:[/font]
Cherrington1.JPG

And a 'fish eye' view showing where the tree and arches were. I think the tree should stay where it is as it seems the best use of that space.

cherrington2.jpg

So what I have:
  • 1 X 16 Pixel controller. Fully used by 14 strings on tree. 2 for the 4 arches (half strings each).
  • 1 X 16 Dumb RGB controller.
  • 4 x 100 Dumb RGB string for... something..
This is obviously going to be an expensive year for me so I know I'll have to spend, although the budget isn't unlimited....

More importantly is how to use the slightly small and awkward space. To give an idea of perspective the front wall is 8.4m wide. The height of the wall (so from the slightly raised garden bed to top) is 4m at each side, 5.5 at the roof peak.

As you can see there are no real useful windows to frame. The top of the roof isn't visible, and is out of most peoples view anyway so anything more than a star or something on top of the house won't do much.

The big bushy tree in the middle of the house isn't well shaped, but it is relatively dense. The ones on the right are useless as whilst they look full from a distance it is really whispy.

Thoughts thus far:
  • 'pixicle' style lights under the roof line. Seems the best use of the limited roof.
  • A few 'sets' of elements (think candy-canes, boxes, snowmen, whatever) in the front yard in a neat-ish fashion.
  • Doing 'something' with that big but annoying tree on the left hand side.
  • Perhaps a whole bunch of micro-trees along the front.
As my friend says, he thinks in pictures I think in numbers. As such I'm asking help from those with a better eye for visuals and design as to what elements I should use and how I should lay out the design for maximum effect.
I have previously had a large nativity rope lift leaning up against the left hand side of the front wall, but I'm thinking I should use that canvas space for something else, but not sure what....

I'll then start drawing it up and working out light/controller requirements and finally cost, hopefully by which time I will be so sold on the idea I won't want to go back to the drawing board when I realise it will be more than I expected :)

hdracer

There is no rehab for the CLAP
I would suggest doing a smaller pixel tree off to the left side and have the 2 trees doing opposite effects like a mirror image kinda. Mini trees along the house area & arches just in front of those. Put a large star in the upper part of the gable of the roof.. Maybe you could pour some diesel around the base of the one tree on accident to remove it naturally.... :-\

MarcD

Full time elf
I can see a pixel matrix on that brick wall. You could build it on a timber frame so you'd only have to attach it at the top of the wall in one spot. Then it could be the focus of your display.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
yeah a matrix on that wall could be good, or perhaps some of the wall stars Mm has in his display, speaking of which, some 3d stars could go well at ground level, along with some candy canes and possibly some vertical poles.

caffeine

Full time elf
Ta.

One thing I should mention is that the upwards slope is more pronounced than it appears. That's the one good thing as I can 'layer' elements without them necessarily covering up things behind them.

Going to try and take some measurements so I can map things out...

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
If they are well sequenced the snowflakes like on Holdmans Lights or alternatively Stars could wrap around the bush on the right and head down to ground level.
houselights200707.jpg