details used to open accounts on another site without authority

cass2008

New elf
Wasn't sure which forum best to post this in....

Has anyone else had their username and name taken from this site and had an account automatically created on PlanetChristmas.com? This happened to me today and wondering if details are being siphoned off this site or if the admins are doing something? Either way it's not something I requested or authorised regarding my details and interested to know if there's others out there

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Hi cass2008, rest assured we do not share usernames or other account information with other Christmas lighting sites.

We do verify limited details (username, email address and IP) with anti-spam databases for newly created accounts for the purposes of reducing spam posts. This process helps because some spambots tend to reuse usernames and email addresses, or their IP has previously been reported for spam activity. With a 2017 join date this hasn't been applicable to you for quite a while now :).

Within the last 24 hours PlanetChristmas posted an announcement saying that previously created accounts need their passwords reset as a result of a mass purge/reset. Accounts not accessed in the past 5 years were apparently not migrated. It sounds like you already had an account with them and it was accessed within the last 5 years.

(Wow, I guess it has been 5+ years since I last logged into PlanetChristmas as I have not personally received any recent email from them. 😯)