Dip switch settings

Porsche

Full time elf
Hi all, im in the process of assigning start channels through dip switchs in my Ray 27's through a ECG D4.
I think Ive got my head around this, but I really wanted to put it out there to ensure Ive understood it all and on the right track.
In this years show im running (well going to attempt too) 2500 channels.
So in the attached and using the poles for example. They start at channel 2305 in universe 15.
So do I set the dip switch of the 1st ray controller (poles) to 1 as it the first controller in that universe?? I obviously cant assign it to start at channel 2305 right??
And also when im dropping controllers into LSP lets say for the poles again, do I assign the controller in LSP to start at channel 2305 or Channel 1 in universe 15.
Thanks.
Phil

Attachments

• Channel set up 2013.pdf
    112.2 KB · Views: 12

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
As far as plonking stuff down in LSP I have no idea but the way you've tried to utilise your channels/universes is massively under-utilising them. A universe is 512 channels and most software will pump out the full 512 channels worth of data and depending on how you populate LSP you may be bloating the sequence too.
Roof 1 and roof 2 together total well under 512 channels the same with window 1 and window 2 etc so they might as well be grouped to get the total closer to 512. The P2 can pump out multiple universes per output I believe so you could fill the universes/outputs to capacity unless the physical routing of them makes this difficult.
Dmx dimmers/controllers/whatever you want to call them respond to the start address they are set to and the next "n" channels. They are unaware of what universe they are on as the universe data isn't part of the dmx stream. With that said you would typically set 1 board to channel 1, the next to channel 28, the next to 55 etc all the way up until the 512 channels are filled. As the boards are daisy chained and are unaware of each other it doesn't matter what order you put them in and as long as the total distance of cabling is under about 1 km then Bob's your uncle.
At the moment you're physically using 5 universes but assigning them to 18.

Porsche

Full time elf
Hey Alan, I see what you mean. I set it up that way only because I found it easy to understand. With the P2's, I put them to 1 prop per output ie roof 1 and roof 2 and assigned a different universe for each, for no other reason than simplicity. I found it easy to understand that way.
I didnt realise I could load up/bloat sequencing software by doing this.