DMX issues

Donald Miclette

New elf
I am trying to find out how to connect my dmx lights to xlights. I have a dmx cable running from my roof to the main box but I don't know how to get xlights to read my d001 or a001 so I can sequence them in. Anyone good with dmx who can help me ?

Donald Miclette

New elf
You'll need to tell us what you've got the DMX cable plugged into at the control box end.
This is all new to me but I made the cable to attach to the pins on my Hinkspix pro. I have a LitMavin dmx 512/192 controller but I have to figure out how to connect that with 3pin xlr dmx cable

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Hi Donald, if you're using the DMX output of the HinksPix then you don't need a seperate controller like your LitMavin to control DMX fixtures with xLights.
You just setup the fixtures in xLights and add DMX effects to them.

The HinksPix is probably 3 pin out (assuming same as alphapix and falcon controller DMX output) I just used some network cable to an RJ45 connector on the enclosure, then used an RJ45 to 3 pin XLR converter cable from the enclosure to the first DMX fixture.

Are your fixtures 3 or 5 pin XLR? If 5 pin you can buy or make 3 pin to 5 pin XlR converters.

One of the videos in the link I posted earlier show how to setup DMX fixtures using a falcon controller, but same as hinkspix or any other controller. Just need to find the corresponding DMX section in the hinkspix setup page.

Donald Miclette

New elf
Good evening OzAz . Yes Hinkspix pro systems do have a 3 pin dmx out. Right now I have my LOR being ran off of it. I tried running the dmx lights and LOR off the 3 pins but it shuts the connection off to my LOR and I still can't get connection to my lights. I tried using the numbers on the booklet that came with it and watching the video you sent me but I can't get the actual numbers from the book to work but when I used some of his numbers I had it moving in xlights model view but not in real life. Any suggestions on any of this ?

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
First off LOR and DMX are different protocols. Don't know about the Hinkspix, but some controllers have 2 RJ45 connectors, one for LOR and one for DMX, others have a switch or terminal block you change to use the right protocol.

EDIT: just realised that you might be using LOR in DMX mode. :) So it could be a DMX channel conflict. If you LOR box is channel 1 then the first DMX fixture would have to be address 17 (1 + 16 LOR channels - if it's a 16 Ch LOR box)

Last edited:

Donald Miclette

New elf
I can snap some pictures if that would give you a better understanding of what I have going on

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
One other thing Donald, you can buy USB to DMX dongles for $20-30 (I've got one of these, but I'm sure you can get same in USA somewhere) they're handy for testing DMX fixtures and practicing sequencing them in xLights without tying up a controller.

Also try a Zoom session, there's usually heaps of people in there who can help out, I'm at work at the moment so it's a bit tricky to do that :)

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
I can snap some pictures if that would give you a better understanding of what I have going on
Yeah thats always a good idea, Controller and Layout tabs
Aslo have you run a Check Sequence now you have it partly working? It might show issues like channel overlaps

Donald Miclette

New elf
20201208_200559.jpg
This is the dmx pins right now being used for LOR which is what Holiday Coros tech support walked me through and the other picture is the 2 rj45 connections and one is internet in from my modem and the other is internet out to my xlights.

Attachments

• 20201208_200606.jpg
    20201208_200606.jpg
    808.2 KB · Views: 6