DMX-LOR S3 with Dumb LED strip

Rufio

New elf
Hello ACL.

Merry Christmas to everyone and thanks for reading my post as this is my first post on this forum.

I have been reading and studying the DMX stuff for about a year now and want to use it in my 2013 layout. I am running LOR S3 Advanced. I have several questions and have a general idea but I do not have the experience in DMX to be aware of all the options. And frankly there are a lot of options when it comes to DMX.

Here is what I'm trying to achieve. I have a 12 foot mega tree and around the tree on the ground I have 6 constrict squares getting larger as you move away from the tree. The first one is a 10 x 12 foot square or 44 liner feet. The next is a 12 x14 or 52 liner feet. Then the last one or square six is 20 x 24 or 88 liner feet. This is a total of 388 liner feet. In past years I've had C-9 bulbs on this grid that sits on the ground. Now I wand to use a Dumb RGB flex strip on each of the squares. Each square will be controlled independently from the other five. Since this is a very large layout if presents some different problems than normal. Such as many DMX controllers only support up to 2 amps per channel. Then power will most likely need to be supplied in different locations on the square.

So here are some of my questions for those that have been down the path that I am about to embark on.

1. Since these are long runs I have read that It would be best to go with a 12vdc led (not 5vcd) since these are better for longer runs. Is this correct?

2. Each square will require 3 channels. Is there a DMX controller that will work with LOR that will handle these power requirements? The LOR DC controller I believe only handles 2 amps per channel. If possible I would like to keep each square on a 3 channel controller but I may have to break them in two groups due to power limitations. Any suggestions?

3. The best price I've seen so far for a LED dumb strip is, http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=78 at $19.25 Don't know what chip is used in this set . Anyone seen a better deal on dump strips?

4. The smallest square is 44 feet long and the longest is 88 feet. What is the best way to distribute the power? Power over Ethernet or using several units like these,
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/350W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-12V-350W-output-CE-and-ROHS-approved/701799_289599951.html

5. Finally I will need to have some type of breakdown plan. I will secure the LED strips to the wood grid but will need 4 wire connectors for each piece of the grid that separates from the other for storage. Has anyone seen these on Rays store or others?

Thank you again for reading this long post and for your help in helping me avoid dangerous mistakes in my endeavor to make a better and more enjoyable show for 2013!!

Ralph

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The 27m (88') square will draw about 5.5 Amps per colour (16.5A in the common +ve wire on white). At the very least, you'll need to inject power every 10m (33') or so.

I haven't checked but Ray Wu may have a DMX DC controller that will do that sort of current. I make a 3 channel DC controller that will do 6A per channel, but it won't be as cheap as a Chinese one.

The other option if to use a lower power DC controller in conjunction with "RGB Amplifiers". They boost the output capability by taking the dimming output from the original controller and use it to switch higher powered loads.

Either way you still need to have big enough power supplies to handle the current draw. Typical 12V RGB strip draws about 0.2A per metre per colour. That's 3 Amps per 5 metre length on full white in theory, but in practice it's a little less due to voltage drop in the common wire of the strip.

Hope that helps get you started.

Rufio

New elf
Thanks David. I will look over this and get back to you. Can you send me the info on your controller.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
The controller I make is:
  • 5V or 9-30V operation
  • Reverse polarity protected
  • Isolated DMX input (RJ45 sockets)
  • DIP switch for setting start address
  • LEDs for power and DMX signal
  • 6A per channel
  • On-board 20A (max) DC fuse
  • Chunky power and output terminal blocks
  • Board size approx 82mm x 72mm
  • Can be used with a DIN rail mounting tray
I don't have a price on it yet as we sell these as part of a larger system currently.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf

Rufio

New elf
Thanks David. I will see if I can find the strip on Ray's site.

Rufio

New elf
Thanks. I'll send that question to Ray and also ask on LOR's board.