DMX splitter

diyer

Full time elf
With my display being both sides of a driveway, I was thinking that a DMX splitter might be the way to go. Could someone enlighten me to the pros and cons?
I did a search on ACL, there doesn’t appear to be many recent posts but a fair bid back from 2012 where there was a fair bit of friendly banter about opto-isolation / no isolation, short leads and positioning of the splitter etc.
Can anyone suggest a two-way RJ45 splitter? I noticed that David_AVD mentioned one that he had built (APC756)
My other option might be build one? I searched online and found a few circuits (see one attached) I have a heap of SN75176 IC’s, I could give the circuit shown below a go, looks simple enough to make with a bit of Veroboard.

Attachments

• splitter post photo.pdf
    255 KB · Views: 26

i13

Dedicated elf
You could use an E1.31 to DMX bridge. I actually couldn't find one that had only one DMX output and nothing else. With the exception of the PixLite 4, they all seemed to have multiple DMX outputs and some E1.31 pixel controllers have this functionaality built in too.

multicast

Senior elf
if you are going to go to the effort of building a splitter, spend a littlre more time and put the opto-isolation in. Its *very* much worth the effort.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
i have a circuit that works great for 4 or 8 outputs
dc-dc isolated an opto protection.
i still have a couple of blank boards as spaire if your intrested.. (or i could build you one..)
personaly e1.31 to dmx bridge would be better. (thats why i have so many boards free :) )

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Depending on where you plan on split the signal you could use 1 of David_AVDs dongles. They have 2 outputs which allow you to split the signal off in 2 directions. To do that you need to open the dongle. Remove the internal jumper for the termination resistor and at the 2 ends of the 2 dmx branches you would need to ensure that they are terminated.

diyer

Full time elf
smartalec said:
i have a circuit that works great for 4 or 8 outputs
dc-dc isolated an opto protection.
i still have a couple of blank boards as spaire if your intrested.. (or i could build you one..)
personaly e1.31 to dmx bridge would be better. (thats why i have so many boards free :) )

Thanks mate, PM sent