Do I need a GND here?

wce06

Apprentice elf
In the attached diagram do I need a GND from the PixLite16 to the Lights (to complete the loop)?

Or is the fact there is no power leaving the PixLite16 mean that I don't need to add the GND to the lights?

Attachments

• Gnd_Connection.png
    Gnd_Connection.png
    95 KB · Views: 47

scamper

Dedicated elf
It would probably work, But I always make it a habit of running an earth on any cable run. ie. power and earth or data and earth.
The earth is a return path for whatever and if your earth has to run all the way through the lights, to power and back to controller you might get problems.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Because the Pixlite and pixels are off the same PSU then it's fine and you dont need one. Personally I usually put one anyway, but a VERY thin one for boards like the J1Sys P2 as it has no power through the board anyway - it just makes sure things are at the right potential to work.

wce06

Apprentice elf
Thankyou, It won't hurt to put in the cable so will err on the side of caution...thanks again for the replies.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I would put one in there because even if its from the same power supply then the different resistance of the ground cables can still cause ground loop issues. Its good practice if using just the data out from the controller to then also use the ground out as well so that you ensure the ground is at the same potential throughout.

I have a query.... if the power injection supply is a long way from the first one, what is the easiest way to tie the grounds? or are they tied via the pixel ground?

Grant Astley

New elf
Power injection is only used to boost the voltage back up to supply volts after a long run (try and keep the volts even across the string) so as long as your cable is capable of carrying the current requirements of the LEDs there is no need to run another ground wire.
If you are talking about tying the grounds of two power supplies than this should always be done. It is done to keep the ground reference voltage the same across the system. I have not had to do this is this type of system, however I would just run another wire either between the power supplies or from each power supply to the point at which you are going to tie the grounds of the LED strings together. Its up to you and will most likely change from person to person and setup to setup as long as all grounds are tied is the main thing.