Does anybody actually have DMX working on a Kulp K16A-B?

complexmind

New elf
Hey folks. Great info here. This is my first year with automated lighting and my first post.

I’m struggling to get DMX working using xlights, a Kulp K16A-B and a Chauvet DMX dimmer pack.

As far as I am able to tell FPP is setup correctly, xlights is setup correctly, the DMX cable is connected to ttyS1 on the Kulp correctly and there is voltage on the cable. But the dimmer pack does not appear to be receiving a DMX signal it understands and I cannot control any of the dimmers.

Has anyone been able to get DMX working on a K16A-B? I’d be interested in the physical config and the FPP config.

thanks in advance.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Hopefully this might be of some help:
I don't have a Kulp to know setup on it.

Physical setup:
Make sure your data +/- is around the right way. Always best to make sure your pinout is also correct on the DMX connector side.

Jarrad33

150k of Pixels for 2023
I have it working on a K8 but changed the model to F8 to get it to work. I have not had any luck with the K16 or K32

complexmind

New elf
Thanks! I’ve verified pin outs multiple times and tried changing the cape model to everything that made sense but no luck. The serial settings in FPP are built by xlights when the DMX model is added to the layout. The settings appear to have the correct config. As far as I am able to tell everything ‘should’ be working… but it is not. I’m starting to wonder if there is a bug or maybe even a hardware error causing the issue. The K16 works as expected in every other way. I sent an email to sales at Kulp hoping for a response but I’m sure they are slammed right now.

I am open for suggestions. It sure would be great to get the DMX piece working in the next few days.

complexmind

New elf
… I have also tried both serial ports and tonight I upgraded to FPP 5.4. No change.

Jarrad33

150k of Pixels for 2023
I had a few talks with Daniel kulp and it didnt sound to me that it would work. I didnt understand him completely though.

This is why I went to the K8s as I could get it to work. But when you change from K8 to F8 the pixel side of it stops working as well which makes them not very useful for a combined controller.

complexmind

New elf
I had a few talks with Daniel kulp and it didnt sound to me that it would work. I didnt understand him completely though.

This is why I went to the K8s as I could get it to work. But when you change from K8 to F8 the pixel side of it stops working as well which makes them not very useful for a combined controller.
So .. I am happy to say DMX on the K16A-B works very well. I heard from Dan Kulp and he verified my config was correct. It turns out that my brand new dimmer pack was bad out of the box. I swapped dimmer packs and everything works great!

Thank you guys for your time and help!

complexmind

New elf
Sure thing…

FPP version 5.4, Kulp K16A-B, Beaglebone Black, standard DMX cables connected to ttyS1 and ttyS2 on the K16, 2 Chauvet DJ 4 dimmer packs with 4 channels each. The 8 xlights models are single node string lights with the DMX effect (other effects may work), mapped to serial 1 and 2 on the K16 using the visualizer in xlights. The serial channel outputs in FPP were automagically created by xlights at channels 1-4 and 5-8 with the DMX-Open type.

I added each model to the sequence and they work as expected.

Did I leave anything out?