Does anyone have experience with this PS?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
Obviously it you point the green arrow up then it would be rain proof not water proof no PSU is waterproof as you need a fan to cool the psu

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
lizardking(adam) said:
Obviously it you point the green arrow up then it would be rain proof not water proof no PSU is waterproof as you need a fan to cool the psu
I have any number of fully waterproof PSU's up to 300W, not sure i would sink them into a swimming pool but they have certainly been in puddles and pouring rain.

plasmadrive

Full time elf
See the green arrow? That means you must mount it such that the arrow is up. This is an unpotted power supply which makes it lighter but more susceptible to moisture. It is more of a damp location rated device. I would not mount it in the rain, but under the house eves it might do ok if they conformal coated the PCB really well...

I wouldn't use it in my display however.. :eek:

Charles Belcher

New elf
plasmadrive said:
See the green arrow? That means you must mount it such that the arrow is up. This is an unpotted power supply which makes it lighter but more susceptible to moisture. It is more of a damp location rated device. I would not mount it in the rain, but under the house eves it might do ok if they conformal coated the PCB really well...

I wouldn't use it in my display however.. :eek:

There is so much heat build up in a plastic enclosure that I was thinking about using a "rainproof" PS mounted on the side of the enclosure. I am in Texas and sometimes it is still 85 degrees in early December.

Passing thought...

Gilrock

Full time elf
I'd just buy the normal Ray Wu supplies. You can mount them in a cheap box like this. Everything is lifted from the bottom so even if I happened to get a few drops of water in the container it doesn't hurt anything.
RibbonTreeController2.jpg

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The meanwell HLG series of power supplies are ip67 rated and are rock solid. One of my clients uses lots and lots of these and swears by these as they put these in some extreme places like buried under dirt to conceal the power supply and they just keep working. Their experience with the cheaper Chinese ones was not a good one with constant failiures. You really do get what you pay for here when it comes to an outdoor rated power supply.
They wouldnt give a 5 year warranty if it wasnt a rock solid product

http://www.mean-well.com.au/shop/11-led

[attachimg=1]

HLG-600 watt IP67 outdoor series

Attachments

• hlg-600h-600w-single-output-switching-power-supply.jpg
    hlg-600h-600w-single-output-switching-power-supply.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 80

Charles Belcher

New elf
I could buy a lot of Ray's supplies and have 10 or 20 backups for that price.
Are those built in downtown Manhattan?

┌༼ σ ‸ σ ༽┐ ༼⁰o⁰;༽ᵒᵐᵍᵎᵎᵎ

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Charles Belcher said:
I could buy a lot of Ray's supplies and have 10 or 20 backups for that price.
Are those built in downtown Manhattan?

┌༼ σ ‸ σ ༽┐ ༼⁰o⁰;༽ᵒᵐᵍᵎᵎᵎ

For the DIY world then these would be an overkill and overpriced for most because labour is not considered a cost in DIY, but in the commercial world then labour is a large cost, so reliability and quality are very important but also comes at a cost. These are also Australian approved where the Ray Wu ones are not.
Those prices shown there are in Australian dollars which is not worth much to the US dollar and also this is the retail price shown, so these can be bought much cheaper wholesale.

But with everything, there are cheap knock offs and then there are the more expensive quality options, what needs to be decided is what option will suit your installation requirements best. In my home display i would be happy using a cheap Ray Wu power supply but with a commercial installation then i want to use something that will be reliable and has the correct Australian approvals.

So for most in the DIY world then its best to get the cheap Ray power supplies because all you need to do is ensure you keep a couple of backups because the chance of one failing is much higher than if you bought the more expensive meanwell.