Draw from ac side

Habbosrus

Back again
My matrix this year has doubled in size. Last year I ran 2 x 350w 5v power supplies, each powering 25 metres of 2812b. This year I am planning to simply add 2 more power supplies for the extra strip. Each power supply will draw less than 50% DC side. My question relates to powering from the ac side. 4 power out of 1 x household power point? I've tried to calculate it and it seems fine but I'm not trusting my judgement and hoping more knowledgeable members can assist me. New house has much fewer power point outlets to choose from. Is it safe to run 4 of them from the 1 power point?
Hope my rambling makes sense.

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
1500 w of power supplies at 240v input will only draw 6.25amps @240v i am pretty sure i have worked it out correctly so if it can be confirmed by another member 1 power point should be fine

Habbosrus

Back again
lizardking(adam) said:
1500 w of power supplies at 240v input will only draw 6.25amps @240v i am pretty sure i have worked it out correctly so if it can be confirmed by another member 1 power point should be fine
Thanks LK. Those were my thoughts too. I've been on some pretty strong medication for the past few weeks and simply didn't want to trust my judgement on something so critical. I've made enquiries about adding/upgrading power/outlets with the landlord and am happy to pay for it. I just need him to give the okay. If not, I just want to make sure I'm not overdoing anything.
So many people are disappointed about our recent move that I simply have to try to do something in the new place. The kids (big & small) of Caves Beach/Swansea deserve a Christmas light show.
Drugs are kicking in. I'm rambling again :eek:

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The output power doesn't match the input power and it's the output power that a 350W power supply for instance indicates. A typical 200-500W switchmode power supply when loaded past about 10% will be about 85% (roughly) efficient. This means that a 350W supply fully loaded will draw about 410W from the mains or 1.7A. This ignores any discrepancies in power factor which for the most part can be ignored when working out your power supplies for a front yard display.

scamper

Dedicated elf
There are also differences in working out AC and DC power, but all that aside, there should be no trouble running them all off 1 board as even at full load you should still be under, and full load will in most cases happen occasionally.
If you have circuit breakers in your power board, you will find they will trip well before you hit the limits, If you are still concerned, you can get 4 way power boards with overload protection built in.
I started popping 1 of my circuit breakers last year even though I tried to spread the load over several power points, but when I looked into it, all of the major appliances (according to the kids) such as TV's computers fridge etc happened to be on the same circuit. So I moved a few about to even it out a bit more.

Now who is rambling ;-)

Habbosrus

Back again
Thanks all. I'm planning on using a surge protected power board between power point and power supplies just to be on the safe side (I've done this on all power connections for added safety for my first 2years).
Time for more medication :eek: :p :-\

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Habbosrus said:
Thanks all. I'm planning on using a surge protected power board between power point and power supplies just to be on the safe side (I've done this on all power connections for added safety for my first 2years).
Time for more medication :eek: :p :-\

Surge protected powerboards aren't worth the extra $ IMHO. most modern powersupplies can handle 90-260v without too much problems in fact the first part of a switch mode power supply is usually a filter and a rectifier so voltage fluctuations won't worry it. my meanwells will handle 85-264Vac or 120-370Vdc

If you did get a decent power supply destroying "surge" ( like a lightening strike) then the HoHoHoant surge protector in the power board will most probably look very pretty as it's blown into elevenity million bits.. I'd save the extra money for more blinky 8)

Cheers
Fing

plasmadrive

Full time elf
Watch out for inrush currents. You may not have any issues, but I have see multiple supplies that were unloaded actually trip the breaker on startup and it was only due to inrush of all the supplies at one time. Four of them most likely won't likely cause you grief because most breakers are too slow, but be aware that if you turn them on and the breaker trips.. it could be just that and not an overload condition out of the supply.

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Plasma makes a good point, the inrush current on the mean well is rated at 70A ( although this is for a very short time, mSec) it would be quite possible for a number of power supplies switched on together to trip a breaker. In Australia most household circuit breakers have the "C" type trip characteristic which has a 7.5x the rated current as the instantaneous trip. Where inrush currents are a problem such as say welders and such, you can purchase a "D" type breaker which has a 12.5x characteristic.

This was a problem when people were replacing their incandescent lamps with compact fluoros, as they have a high inrush, and the lighting circuit usually has a lower value of circuit breaker.

of course the simple way to beat it is to turn the power supplies on sequentially. this may be something to consider if you are using some type of remote control to turn your power supplies on.

Chers
Fing

Habbosrus

Back again
Fing said:
Plasma makes a good point, the inrush current on the mean well is rated at 70A ( although this is for a very short time, mSec) it would be quite possible for a number of power supplies switched on together to trip a breaker. In Australia most household circuit breakers have the "C" type trip characteristic which has a 7.5x the rated current as the instantaneous trip. Where inrush currents are a problem such as say welders and such, you can purchase a "D" type breaker which has a 12.5x characteristic.

This was a problem when people were replacing their incandescent lamps with compact fluoros, as they have a high inrush, and the lighting circuit usually has a lower value of circuit breaker.

of course the simple way to beat it is to turn the power supplies on sequentially. this may be something to consider if you are using some type of remote control to turn your power supplies on.

Chers
Fing
I was reading your post and thinking to myself that I would be better to switch them sequentially and partner this with comments from Plasma. I'll employ a 4 switch power board and turn them on sequentially. Nothing of mine is done remotely. I manually turn everything on and manually turn everything off each night as I believe this gives me the opportunity to check my equipment for any signs of damage/danger. I'm not qualified at anything so I think this is the best way for me to keep an eye on what I think I've done correctly.
Geez, must be time for medication again. I'm starting to make sense.
Thanks again everybody. I think this info will be useful to many others who may have been wondering too.

Habbosrus

Back again
That looks good David. Can you explain how this unit would be typically be deployed and connected? I'm guessing, but that can be dangerous, especially with 240v. I'd rather someone that knows what they're talking about provide the info.
How would you normally send the signal to these? From sequencing software or other?

Would you mind giving some more info? Again, I'm sure there are others who would be interested too.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I have the single relay version of that board in my controller enclosures.

You basically sent it a DMX stream and when the value of one selected channel goes over 50% the relay(s) turn on.

There's more detail in the wiki section of my da-share site (single and 4 way relays).

The relay contact wire in series with the power supply.

Habbosrus

Back again
Thanks David. Heading there now. Did not see that yesterday. Have to be quick so I can read it and take in some info before I have to take more meds. I think and talk in jibberish once they start to kick in :eek: . Thanks for your help.