"Dumb" RGB LED Rope Light

denno020

Apprentice elf
Hi guys,

I was looking at some houses' Christmas lights on the weekend, and I was really impressed with the output of the LED rope lights.. I only have one rope light myself, as they're usually a bit more expensive than the fairy lights, but also because I thought I liked the fairy lights more. Turns out the rope lights do a much better job of lining the roof or garden edging etc.

So I was wondering, is there such a product that has dumb RGB LED's in a rope light form factor? Like this: http://yachtcaptainblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/LED-rope-light-BAD.jpg, but with RGB LED's that can all be changed to different colours, i.e. not individually, but the whole rope light at once.

Does such a product exist?

Thanks,
Luke

i13

Dedicated elf
I have not seen dumb RGB ropelight but I use dumb RGB strips and I'm in Adelaide.

The viewers don't notice that it is strip instead of ropelight and I find that the strip is a better product which is why I haven't looked for ropelight recently. It can be cut and joined and if it goes faulty then you can cut out the bad section, solder it and continue using the rest. 30 LEDs per metre is more than bright enough.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
There is dumb RGB rope light but this is not round and is flat. It is made of 3 or 4 individual circuits for each colour and when the different colours come on they blend in together somewhat. But this is expensive and you would be better off using RGB strip light mounted to 25mm electrical conduit instead and it may be what you actually have seen and thought it was rope light.

rgbrope.jpg

RGB rope light

denno020

Apprentice elf
Thanks for the replies guys. I have thought about using that regular RGB LED strips, as it's reasonably inexpensive, but how do you mount it? Any chance you have some photos that you could please share?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Refer to page 19 of the ACL 101 lighting manual here https://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1889.0.html

and also take a look at these threads

https://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,6991.msg62319.html#msg62319

https://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,3195.msg27248.html#msg27248

https://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1394.msg11499.html#msg11499

denno020

Apprentice elf
Thanks for the links Fasteddy.. I was hoping to track down some actual photos of strips installed though.. The images in the manual (which is brilliant by the way), aren't the greatest.. I can't see if they're mounted on round conduit or square (I would have assumed square, but obviously that wouldn't work in the arch, so that'd be round).

One of the posts you linked to talked about coro covering the LED strip to provide protection and light diffusion.. Do you happen to know where I could see some photos of how that works (not necessarily that persons, just that setup in general).

Thanks again

cjd

New elf
Here is a photo of my arches made using strips cable tied to hula-hoops and gas-fit pipe

Attachments

• 2016-12-07-190839_Preschool_Graduation-6s.jpg
    2016-12-07-190839_Preschool_Graduation-6s.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

denno020

Apprentice elf
That looks really good! You obviously don't bother buying the LED strips that have the 3M tape on the back already? Although it would be hard to trust that tape so cable ties are a good idea

Bigwillystyle

New elf
Re: &quot:Dumb" RGB LED Rope Light

If your doing arches.. Put it inside some clear or even better some opalescent tube.. If its not straight clear it blends the lights better and you don't see each led.. Just the light from them..

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

denno020

Apprentice elf
I probably wouldn't do arches, I like my straight lines, so am just trying to figure out the best way to follow my house lines.

I personally don't mind being able to see individual LEDs.. That's how fairy lights look

cjd

New elf
Re: &quot:Dumb" RGB LED Rope Light

Bigwillystyle said:
If your doing arches.. Put it inside some clear or even better some opalescent tube.. If its not straight clear it blends the lights better and you don't see each led.. Just the light from them..

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Where did you find suitable tubing?
I looked around and could never find something quite right locally

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
What is used is standard 25mm electrical round conduit that you get from either an electrical wholesaler or even Bunnings stock it

denno020

Apprentice elf
Ah right that makes sense.. I didn't think that stuff was very translucent, but perhaps it is..

Thanks for the tips guys, all very helpful