E1.31, channels and LSP

Porsche

Full time elf
I got all my p2's and D4 hooked up today through the network switch. Ran a test with Da E1.31 and all worked.
Thank you to all that have helped me. The penny dropped today when I saw it all working.
I also managed to get all the P2's working through LSP which I was stocked with.
One thing I am stuck with.
Ive got my D4 (port 1) running into Dc48. I was trying to test the harware through LSP. Maybe Ive got this around the wrong way but the element Im using the DC48 is my mega tree and Ive configured the controller for the tree (in LSP) to start at channel 541 and on the D4 port 1 its configure to universe 3. So I ran DA start to change start address on the Dc48 but it wont let me change address to 541. Im assuming thats becuase that would be the last start channel available up to the 512 end of universe?.Then I went to config output plugin I activated universe 3, start channel 541 etc.
I know why I cant test the hardware through LSP because I cant change the start address on the DC48 to 541 (I Think)
Its baffled me. I know this has something to do with the way Ive set the channels up.
Any Ideas as to what/how Im setting up my channels In LSP?
Am I setting them up right where you start at Channel 1 and keep going until say channel 2500 across 5/6 universes. If that is the case, how do I set my DC48 and ray controllers to satrt beyond channel 512.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
For each universe it will start at channel 1 so universe 1 channel 1, universe 2 channel 1, universe 3 channel1, ect ect. What may be confusing you is that in LSP you have these set up as channel 541 but you then allocate in LSP that universe x starts at 541, so basically LSP will use channel 541 and map that to channel 1 of the universe you have allocated. so in software it may appear as channel 541, all you do is map that channel range to a universe. But each universe only has 512 channels and always starts at 1 unless you specify otherwise.

Porsche

Full time elf
Thanks Ed. so Ive set the software up right then i think.
Ive just tried to test the below and had no luck. I know this is something im doing wrong.
If you look at 2013 setup, Ive started Pole 1 at Channel 2305 in LSP. and If im understanding you right Ive attached a screen shot of how that controller (in LSP) is configured.
Have I got this right?? I dont think so, because I ran a hardware test through LSP and it didnt work.
Althou I did run a DA E1.31 test and the lights worked. So I know Ive physically hooked it up right and everythings running through the network. But i cant seem to nail that D4 through LSP.
I have checked port setup in D4 (attached) and Im sure ive got that right. port 1 for Universe 8.
What am I doing wrong..

Attachments

• 2013 Channels.pdf
    109.4 KB · Views: 10
  • D4 Port Configuration.pdf
    198.5 KB · Views: 10
  • LSP controller config.pdf
    378 KB · Views: 11

kane

Dedicated elf
hmmm, looks right to me. Given it works in da131, you're right in pointing the finger at LSP, but not sure what it is..

Another thing to do a screenshot of is the controller settings (right click controller and choose controller settings)..

Porsche

Full time elf
Ive attached a screen shot of the controller settings and ouput config.
I tried it again this morning and no luck. What I did is reconfig the D4 port 1 to be on Universe 15.
Ran through DA 1.31 all good. So I have the connection there
I started up a new seq in LSP dropped 3 controllers in (2 for 2 strings and 1 for DC48), The 2 strings work fine when doing hardware test in LSP.
But cant get Dc48 through LSP. I didnt touch start address in DC48. still at 1 as its the 1st Channel in that universe.
Any Ideas.

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    843.6 KB · Views: 7

kane

Dedicated elf
Hmmm..

So you're definately getting the 3 channels on the DC48 to light up when using da131. So the hardware is configured fine.

And you're getting some output from LSP, so e1.31 is definately working from LSP.

Just as another test, can you stick a few effects against each of the channels, click the "output" option to make sure it outputs, and run the sequence - never know, could be something funny with the LSP controller test area.

Another thing to try is to install some software to trace the e1.31 data. You can use wireshark, but it's a little tricky to get working - another option is Sacnview (http://sacnview.sourceforge.net ) - this shows you what e1.31 data is on the network - you can then compare the output from da131 and LSP

Porsche

Full time elf
I think you might be right about the Outputs in LSP Kane.
I threw a few effects in the seq and ran it. Not even the pixels strips are working.
Funny... If I go into Hardware tester in LSP I can turn on the Pixels strips and go through all the channels fine (except the Dc48 through d4, that wont work at all), but If I put a few effects in the seq nothing happens. Ive tried optimising the seq, then running it.
So Ive got an E1.31 connection through DA E1.31 of all controllers (including the Dc48 Im trying to get going).
I can get the P2's working through LSP only in the hardware test tab, but not the Dc48 through D4.
And when I put some effects into LSP and run the seq, I get nothing.
Based on what Ive said is happening here, shall I try this Sacnview?? or is it something to do with LSP?

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Hang on, 1 quick thing - in LSP do you have an empty timing mark between the start of the sequence and the turning on of the lights? You need an empty cell at the startt of the sequence for them to work (A long-known bug in LSP)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The infamous no timing mark at the start, this has caught out a few in the past. its in the list of improvements for LSP.

kane

Dedicated elf
Adding a timing mark should fix the issue you're having with no output to any controller.. If not, make sure you've hit the "output" button..

That being said, the fact that you're not getting any output on the DC48 from LSP using the test hardware option is still very confusing, especially seeing you're getting output using da131.. wonder what the difference is - sacnview is probably a good idea to play with..

Porsche

Full time elf
hay guys, problem solved. well almost.
I added the timing mark and then everything worked. I ran a quick few effects in the seq, all good and then in the hardware tester, all good again. seems for some reason adding in that blank timing mark fixed it, even the issues I was having with the Dc48.
except for some reason now, I can do a few tests, ran a few effects through seq and then LSP un configures the outputs, and i have to go back into outputs and reconfig. This happened a number of times after each seq test.
but im glad I got it working to some degree.
im actually thinking i might give LOR a go, I am getting a little frustrated with LSP. Not sure why it keeps un configuring my outputs and after each seq I have to go back in a reconfigure. all i do is run a seq, it works and then I have to reconfigure the outputs.
maybe I'll give LOR a go and see what sort of outcome I get.

thank you again, to all who helped.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Well I would say that you might want to think over your decision on LOR.
I have been an LOR user since 2008 and am looking at changing over to LSP due to some of the problems that LOR is having with large channel count sequences causing troubles. Seems like LOR "chokes" when trying to run high channel counts. LOR users have reported these problems over on the LOR forum as well as a couple of other problems that seem to have come into play with the newer versions (since the implementation of S3). I have not used S3 yet due to not using pixels in my display only LEDs.
But I know of some others who have begun to switch from LOR due to problems as well.
While LSP does have some learning curve to it, LOR is no different and LSP is actually a more versatile and robust software. So maybe you might want to see why you are having the trouble with LSP first before jumping ship. There are quite a few LSP users who will help you sort out this new problem just like your trouble with the timing mark.
We all have to start some where and it takes time to learn any new program.
Plus rather than going to LOR, I would think you would look into either HLS or the Nutcracker/xlights programs as they are more geared towards pixels.

kane

Dedicated elf
Porsche said:
hay guys, problem solved. well almost.
I added the timing mark and then everything worked. I ran a quick few effects in the seq, all good and then in the hardware tester, all good again. seems for some reason adding in that blank timing mark fixed it, even the issues I was having with the Dc48.
except for some reason now, I can do a few tests, ran a few effects through seq and then LSP un configures the outputs, and i have to go back into outputs and reconfig. This happened a number of times after each seq test.
but im glad I got it working to some degree.
im actually thinking i might give LOR a go, I am getting a little frustrated with LSP. Not sure why it keeps un configuring my outputs and after each seq I have to go back in a reconfigure. all i do is run a seq, it works and then I have to reconfigure the outputs.
maybe I'll give LOR a go and see what sort of outcome I get.
Never seen anything like that with the outputs being unconfigured.

The e1.31 configuration is stored in the file along the lines of - C:\Program Files (x86)\Minleon\LSP Sequencer\OutputConfiguration.xml If you're able to consistently reproduce the issue, I would take a backup of that file to a separate location (eg copy1.xml). Then, run the sequence, and then take another copy, and see if there is any difference..

Otherwise, I'd take a video of the steps you take (I think screencast.com is used by a lot of people), and post it up so people can see..

In terms of switching to LOR - I don't think you'll find it a good option for pixels - in fact, I think you'd find it hard to find anyone that has gone from LSP to LOR - the traffic seems to be the other way

Cheers

Kane

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If you are having weird behavior with LSP then the best place to post your questions is on the LSP forums as that is where you will get the most help as this is visited by the developers and has many very helpful dedicated LSP user.

But i would take a screen capture of whats happening because as Kane has said this is something that we havent seen before so we need as much info (every step) on what you are doing to create this issue.