E1.31 Dumb RGB Controller???

remoteutah

Full time elf
My initial plan called for 5 dumb 5m rgb led strips to be used as colorwashes. I planned on using the J1sys ECG-D2 to convert E1.31 to DMX to which I would use 5 of those cheap $10 dip version 3 channel dmx controller. Cost without lights = approx $130

But after testing the strip as a colorwash, I found I will need to use 10 strips instead of 5. I want to keep it as 10 seperate strips so that doubles the # of cheap 3 channel dmx controllers. Now = $180

So, my question is... is there a cheaper route to go? Is there a E1.31 dumb rgb controller? Is it cheaper than $180? That would at least save me adding on a E1.31 to DMX protocol converter, right?

harrison0550

Full time elf

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If you want to hold out from buying your controllers then there is a 2811 IC driven DC controller that should be available over the next month or two that can run from a pixel controller if you already have a pixel controller like the P12R, P2 or E682 then this will be a cheaper alternative for you more info here

G

GoofyGuy

ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
If you want to hold out from buying your controllers then there is a 2811 IC driven DC controller that should be available over the next month or two that can run from a pixel controller if you already have a pixel controller like the P12R, P2 or E682 then this will be a cheaper alternative for you more info here

+1! Cant wait for 1 or 2 of these. Amazing idea that makes dumb rbg elements easy to add to pixel heavy dispalys without extra adapaters, dongles, or networks.

remoteutah

Full time elf
Andy,

I think my 12v 5050 - 5meter - 60led/m dumb rgb strips will draw too much power for that board. Each of my dumb strips are rated at 14.4 watts/meter. Technecally, I can put 9 of 10 strips on that by channel count. But I think the power draw on that board might be too much. What do you think?

Eddy,

I followed that link but that appears to be a dmx ws2811 pixel controller. I am more looking for a E1.31 DC controller that can handle dumb 4 wire rgb strips.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
remoteutah said:
Eddy,

I followed that link but that appears to be a dmx ws2811 pixel controller. I am more looking for a E1.31 DC controller that can handle dumb 4 wire rgb strips.

No this is a DC controller that will be driven from a 2811 IC, so it will drive dumb RGB strip but will have the current capacity to run full strips.
What this controller enables is dumb strip/strings to be treated the same as a pixel in a string or strip of 2811 so any pixel controller that can drive the 2811 IC will be able to control this board. You could have a string/strip of 2811 and then add at the end this board connected to that strip with power injection. So you dont have to worry about buying a E1.31 to DMX controller or a DMX dongle because the pixel controller is the gateway to the DC 2811 controller.

There are no E1.31 DC controllers available at this time that i know of for DIY

remoteutah

Full time elf
Some additional info. Further reading reveals that these 4 wire strips can be hooked up so that the common anode is connected to 3 different 2 wire DC outputs (like the LOR DC board)... IE wire them like 3 two wire light circuit, but attach all anodes together. I guess the controller would have to be able to support that wire scheme too, right? So does that help? So I guess I am looking for an E1.31 DC controller that can handle common anodes?! Any ideas, because I think I just made my question much simpler!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
remoteutah said:
Some additional info. Further reading reveals that these 4 wire strips can be hooked up so that the common anode is connected to 3 different 2 wire DC outputs (like the LOR DC board)... IE wire them like 3 two wire light circuit, but attach all anodes together. I guess the controller would have to be able to support that wire scheme too, right? So does that help? So I guess I am looking for an E1.31 DC controller that can handle common anodes?! Any ideas, because I think I just made my question much simpler!

the vast majority of DC controllers in the hobby use the common anode configuration, so thats 4 wires, 1 x red, 1 x green 1 x blue and then the common +V return wire. All the boards are designed to have the switching done on the -V (ground) where the common is +V, this is cheaper for board design and control, so all that you need is to connect the common +v common to any of the +V terminals of the controller outputs because they are all shared on the board

remoteutah

Full time elf
Gotcha Eddy,

I will re-read that. It is a bit confusing because it looks like the conversation is about 2 different boards. I will sleep a bit and try to read it again - lol

I think you nailed the answer. If you say there is no E1.31 DC controller, that nips the idea right in the but.

I will hold off to see where that project goes. The colorwash strips are low priority, but was planning ahead to try to save some costs by eliminating dmx protocol bridge. Not a big deal really because I have all my cat6 cables and they are color coded. Purple for E1.31 and Pink for DMX. Will add color to the yard during the day and hopefully make them easier to find under the snow!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
remoteutah said:
Gotcha Eddy,

I will re-read that. It is a bit confusing because it looks like the conversation is about 2 different boards. I will sleep a bit and try to read it again - lol

I think you nailed the answer. If you say there is no E1.31 DC controller, that nips the idea right in the but.

I will hold off to see where that project goes. The colorwash strips are low priority, but was planning ahead to try to save some costs by eliminating dmx protocol bridge. Not a big deal really because I have all my cat6 cables and they are color coded. Purple for E1.31 and Pink for DMX. Will add color to the yard during the day and hopefully make them easier to find under the snow!

Do you have a pixel controller?