E1.31 - Network Switch

Dave H

Apprentice elf
Getting closer to stepping through the "pixel door" for this season......

A simple question as to using a network switch with the controllers. I see in a previous presentation for E1.31, that a 10/100 Mbps switch is adequate. Is that the switch everyone is using or does a 10/100/1000 Mbps switch have any advantage on overall performance???

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Unless you have a super large channel count (ie over 50 universes) then pretty much any switch you can find will work.

My 2012 show was 6 universes and all I used was a very old 5 port crappy dlink 10/100mbps switch. I had zero issues.

If you already have a 1gbps switch feel free to use it it just won't make any difference to the show.

G

GoofyGuy

16 univereses were fine on 10/100. My maxiumum output according to windows was about 3mps upload. Tons of room.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
In 2011 i ran my 5000 channel show from an ancient old 10 Mbps switch, this year i upgraded to an old second hand managed 10/100 Mbps switch with 10000 channels. Networt utilization was maxed at 12.5%. I see no need to spend the extra money on a 1 Gbps unless you plan to use it within your home network.

G

GoofyGuy

I plan on jumping on something higher quality. Mike over in the LOR forums pointed out some very important facts that I have over looked. Dont get me wrong were not running a high amount of data yet, but Id rather plan bigger than enough?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
WilliamS said:
I plan on jumping on something higher quality. Mike over in the LOR forums pointed out some very important facts that I have over looked. Dont get me wrong were not running a high amount of data yet, but Id rather plan bigger than enough?

The potential issue is not the switch but the controllers being flooded with data that may end up being a bigger issue unless unicast is used which can be extra work to setup. My 10000 channel show used 12.5% of network utilization in LSP with a 100 Mbps switch, if i got to a point where a cheap switch couldnt handle the data then i would add another network interface card to the computer and seperate the network. This would be a much cheaper path than spending a heap on a managed switch. I actually ran my 2011 show of 5000 channels on an old cheap 4 port 10 Mbits switch without issue.

But if you plan to use an expensive switch for your normal home network as well then thats a different story and the extra cost could be justified.

But after saying all that i now use a managed 16 port 10/100 switch that i got for $20, there are lots of great second hand switches about that buisnesses are getting rid of as they upgrade their networks to 1Gbps, you may even ask your IT department at work as many will have these lying around and you could get one for free if they know what your intended use is.

Dave H

Apprentice elf
OK
Should have asked this in the original posting,
Of the members that utilize network switches, do you keep them inside and run mutliple cables to the exterior or is it acceptable to locate the switch outside (protected of course) and branch out from there??

Boof63

Senior elf
ran mine from window inside to a P2 and D2 outside in enclosures ( 2x black storage bins) worked fine. used on 10/100 switch with no problems.
cheers Boof63 :)

neilric99

Full time elf
As anyone done network utilization on a cat5 going from the switch (cheapo and managed) to a controller when in Unicast mode. How intelligent is a switch in routing traffic down a destination port when your software is sending to a ip address as opposed multicast.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Dave H said:
OK
Should have asked this in the original posting,
Of the members that utilize network switches, do you keep them inside and run mutliple cables to the exterior or is it acceptable to locate the switch outside (protected of course) and branch out from there??

I have my show computer located in the garage during the season and I also locate my switch there as well. I think it really goes down to your layout.