E1.31 to DMX Needed (ECG-D2 dead)

anon

Apprentice elf
Hi All,

Long time since I've been here and after a couple of years collecting dust I've just put my lights out. I run an ECG-D2 to a 27 channel controller for the old Big W 3 wire strings. The ECG-D2 was always a pain, locking up, not powering up properly....and now its just cactus (the ethernet does not light up and the DMX LED is solid on, the same behaviour it used to show when it locked up or didn't power on properly....but its just not recovering).

What are the goto E1.31 to DMX boards? I'm also running FPP on an old Rasperry Pi that talks E1.31 to the ECG-D2 and a pixel controller, so not too sure if that will provide other options.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
If you only have one 27 channel controller, replacing it with one of Alan's 30 channel pixel input boards would be the simplest / cheapest solution:

anon

Apprentice elf
Thanks, the 2811DC30 looks like the trick. I have an under utilised ECG-P12R that can provide the the 2811 data (although as TM1803). The fallback would be a USB->RS485 but eliminating DMX altogether would be preferable.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Do both :D
A third option is a rPi-29D+ on top of the pi if it's a pi with a 40 pin header. Gives you the dmx that you want and it also has 2 WS281x pixel outputs which can actually be expanded to 4 if you use the DPI pixel available via licence from Falcon Christmas.

anon

Apprentice elf
Too late, order already submitted for the 2811DC30 :) If half this stuff existing when I was kitting myself out originally 9-10 years ago, I wouldn't be in this situation.....the space as evovled so quickly.

That being said, I'm trying to divorce and future proof myself from FPP.

anon

Apprentice elf
Thanks, order received yesterday, then had it mounted, connected, channels reconfigured and all working in couple of hrs with minimal fuss. It just took a bit of trial and error to jag the right data rate for the TM180X interface of the ECG-P12R.

Reactions: AAH