e6804 all of a sudden not booting

sck1ng

Apprentice elf
I have been using this e6804 for the past two months with testing pixels and everything. I also have two other e6804's. For some reason I now have this e6804 in place, ran it in test mode most of the evening yesterday and it ran great with no problems along with the two other e6804s. Tonight I run all my ethernet and setup my pi and now this one e6804 does not want to power up. Both the red light and green light do not light up at all. The ethernet jack does light up and indicate its connected to the network. I even disconnected all the wires so only the power was connected and the green and red indicators do not light up at all. Anyone know what my issue may be? I did not email Jim yet as I was hoping its something stupid that I can test for. Would suck if the board is shot as it will be the second one to do that to me and will probably be the end to my halloween display till I get a new one hopefully before christmas display. Sucky part is that board has been running beautifully for the past couple months during testing and even ran great yesterday..

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I had exactly the same thing 2 days ago, LAN lights work therefore power must be going to the board but no power lights. I rebooted again and it worked. Intially it took 3 boots for the LAN/config to work.

I, like you, thought I musta done something bad to the board for the power lights not to be working but no, seems it kept going.

I emailed Jim in relation to the LAN hiccuping every now and then, he is sending me out a couple of crystals to replace on the board, seems they had a problem with a few pre-assembled boards? Could be effecting the power as well?

Mine is once again working, however on bootup tonight its anyones guess.

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
First, I would change out your ethernet cable. If that doesn't work, try going straight from you ethernet port on your computer and see if boots up. The rj45 seems to be very picky on mu e682's so that's the reason I suggest the second option. You said you have had that board for 2 months, Shell had the same problem with her board and Jim told her that the crystal looks to be the cause. There were some problems with the wave soldering process on boards about the same age as yours. Email Jim and tell him your problem, he will send you a new crystal that you can replace or offer a free fix I think.
Hope this helps
John

Habbosrus

Back again
You say the red & green led don't light up? This may be a silly question but, have you checked all fuses? Power from psu?

sck1ng

Apprentice elf
Well after letting it sit for 20 minutes or so, I plugged it back and and it booted up with no problem.. Hopefully it was just a random problem and won't be a persistent problem.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Mines still working at this stage too, seems to be a intermittent problem so I have ordered the crystal parts and will be soldering them on myself.

I would recommend doing it as well, or sending it back to Jim as you dont want hiccups once showtime starts in December.

sck1ng

Apprentice elf
I ordered a backup e6804 just in case I need to swap it out. Not sure how backed up Jim is but it can't hurt to have an extra one laying around just in case.

sck1ng

Apprentice elf
I also emailed Jim about the issue so maybe he can send me or point me in the right direction for a new crystal.. I have done plenty of soldering of wires but never soldered a board so we shall see how that goes..