Easy Repairs

jediknight2

Full time elf
Having RGB pixels in your display is a HUGE jump for most of us. With that jump comes a lot of work and learning how to control them. One of the things you will ultimately need to do is a repair. Unfortunately, when pixels go out they can take out the rest of the string. Sometimes it's just a pink pixel and your string doesn't go out, your in luck if it goes like that. I had both issues last year. I had one pixel go out about 20 in on a 298 pixel string. I had to get the ladder up, cut, strip and insert another pixel. It was time consuming and a pain. I didn't mess with the pink pixels...even though it bugged me. I wanted an easy way to do a repair and have been researching ways to do a quick SAFE repair when needed. What I have found is a Belden butt splice part number 709sc. It even has gel in the splice to make it waterproof. Now all I need to do is prepare a few pixels ahead of time by placing the spice onto each side. Then when a pixel goes out I simply cut the old pixel out, slide the wire in and clamp it down. Unfortunately, they dont have a 4 pair solution that I have found....but this is way better than what I had to do last year and will work with both 4 and 3 wire configurations. Hopefully this can help someone with the inevitable.

battle79

Full time elf
Looks like a good idea. I was planning on trying good old fashion scotch locks and seeing how they go. Haven't had to replace any pixels as yet.

If they are good enough for high speed ADSL or ISDN they should work fine for SPI data.

Cheers,
Rowan

jediknight2

Full time elf
The scotch locks would be the next best thing...but then you have to deal with 8 instead of 4. You can also prepare half the pixel on the ground. The ONLY thing I couldn't find is any amp ratings for power going through them.

jediknight2

Full time elf
I got them on Ebay...the 200 pack was the most economical. Just FYI, I did test these the other day and you will have to widen the wire hole a little. Isn't an issue because its all done prior and on the ground. I connected my wire and tested using the splice and everything worked like it should.