1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

ECG-D2 Output pinout

Discussion in 'EthConGateway by Joshua 1 Systems' started by Wolfie, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Wolfie

Wolfie Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    The ECG-D2 has two RJ-45 connectors for output of the DMX. What is the pinout for these connections to wire to XLR plugs?

Am I correct that DMX has a reasonable limit on distance of cable in excess of 1000m?

Is there a PDF with operation information (yes, I have the P2/D2 Quick Notes PDF).

[​IMG]

2. AAH

AAH I love blinky lights :) Community Project Designer

Find Me On:
  3. OP
    OP
    Wolfie

Wolfie Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    This one?
    DMX - XLR to Renard RJ45[​IMG]

4. AAH

Find Me On:
    Nope.
    There's no picture as such. You need to work from the table and there's either 3 pin or 5 pin XLR/Canon connectors that are used.
    RJ45 & XLR Pin Chart You can use the pin detail below to make adapter between ESTA standard RJ45, LOR RJ45 and XLR connectors.
    [table] [tr] [td] Signal [/td] [td][/td][td][/td][td] RJ45 [/td] [td][/td][td] XLR [/td][/tr] [tr] [td] ESTA [/td] [td] LOR [/td] [td] Renard [/td] [td] 3 Pin [/td] [td] 5 Pin [/td][/tr] [tr] [td] Data + [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [td] 4 [/td] [td] 5 [/td] [td] 3 [/td] [td] 3 [/td][/tr] [tr] [td] Data - [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [td] 5 [/td] [td] 4 [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [td] 2 [/td][/tr] [tr] [td] Data Common [/td] [td] 7 [/td] [td] 6 [/td] [td] 1+2 [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [td] 1 [/td][/tr][/table]

5. OP
    OP
    Wolfie

Wolfie Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    Um... doesn't that match the above diagram image I posted? And yea, I know there are 3 and 5 pin XLR. All mine are 3 pin.

RJ1+2 > XlR1 (common)
    RJ4 > XLR2 (D-)
    RJ5 > XLR3 (D+)

RJ3, RJ6-8 = NC

6. AAH

Find Me On:
    The diagram isn't even remotely close. It is for connecting an XLR dmx output to a Renard input.
    [table][tr][td]
    [/td][td] ESTA (from D2)
    [/td][td]
    [/td][td] 3 or 5 Pin XLR[/td][/tr][tr][td]Data + [/td][td] 1 [/td][td]
    [/td][td]
    [/td][td] 3 [/td][/tr][tr][td] Data - [/td][td] 2 [/td][td]
    [/td][td]
    [/td][td] 2 [/td][/tr][tr][td] Data Common [/td][td] 7 [/td][td]
    [/td][td]
    [/td][td] 1 [/td][/tr][/table]
    As the D2 uses ESTA pinout the diagram that you posted has a dead short between the Data + and - wires. If you have wired up like this there is every possibility that you may damage the output drivers in the D2 :(

7. OP
    OP
    Wolfie

Wolfie Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    No, not wired anything. Still have to get to a store this week and buy some XLR connectors.

Oh! I see now, your table headers were one column off in your first post! Here is how the table should have been...
    [table] [tr] [td] [/td] [td][/td][td][/td][td] RJ45 [/td] [td][/td][td] XLR [/td][/tr] [tr] [td]Signal [/td][td] ESTA [/td] [td] LOR [/td] [td] Renard [/td] [td] 3 Pin [/td] [td] 5 Pin [/td][/tr] [tr] [td] Data + [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [td] 4 [/td] [td] 5 [/td] [td] 3 [/td] [td] 3 [/td][/tr] [tr] [td] Data - [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [td] 5 [/td] [td] 4 [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [td] 2 [/td][/tr] [tr] [td] Data Common [/td] [td] 7 [/td] [td] 6 [/td] [td] 1+2 [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [td] 1 [/td][/tr][/table]

Thank you very much for clearing it up. I have been working hard on other display elements and have ignored the D2 for now. But I got the mega tree erected today and should finish the eve and window outlines tomorrow. So now time to turn my attention to the floods.

I really appreciate you helping me with the wiring!