ECG P12 Set UP with power supplies

marsh28

Apprentice elf
I want ideas on the easiest way to connect the ECG P12 to six 2811 pixel strips that will be attached to the façade of my house. I've attached a photo to give a better idea of just what I want to do. As of now, my plan is to hook up a 350w power supply to the pixel controller near the top left window of my house. From there, 6 independent outlets would be dedicated to each pixel strip. Although some of the strips (strips 1, 2 and 3) will be within 8 feet of the controller, the other 3 strips will be further away with the furthest strip (strip 6) approximately 25 feet away from the controller. So.... here are some initial questions I have.
1: beyond the 350 watt PS connected to the power supply, will I need to inject power to any of these strips?
2: Given the distance between strips 3, 5 and 6 (from 16ft to 25 ft), will I need to add any null pixels?
Thanks ahead of time for the advice.

Attachments

• Pixel Set up.jpg
    Pixel Set up.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
You haven't said what voltage your using as this will make a difference.
It will also depend on the cable size as well. Both these factors need to be considered to calculate the voltage drop and to determine whether or not you'll need to inject.
As a very broad rule of thumb for 5V pixels most people need to inject every 50 pixels. For 12V its every 100. But as I said this is very broad, bet way is to hook them up and see if you get any colour variance towards the end of your runs.

For the use of null pixels again this has many factors, for my own set up I cant get any further than about 4.5m (15') without the need for a null pixel.

Cheers
Rod

marsh28

Apprentice elf
Thanks for the response. I would be using the 12v strips. Will any 12v IC controlled pixel work as a null pixel?

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Yep, Ive used nodes and strip for my nulls, strip is easier to use as you can sleeve it with heatshrink.

If your using 12V pixels you may not need any injection but as I said you wont really know till you get it hooked up.