ECG-P2 & Advatek PixLites Issue

zman

Full time elf
Guys,

I am trying to marry a P2 with the PixLites. I am hoping to test a couple strings to see if I would use them for my revamped RGB Tree in 2014. I am still trying to decide what will replace the defunct Technicolor Pixels I used in 2013. I also want to show off the P2/PixLite set up at our CLAP meeting coming up on May 3rd.

I read and watched everything and I believe I have my set up correct, but let me run this past you for verification.

I am communicating with and have the P2 set up. Hooking up to a 5V P/S, I have K2 with pins 2&3 jumpered. I have J1 & J2 jumpered on pins 1 & 2. If I read this right, that means that +/- 5V will go out through the V & G pins on P4 & P5 to power a string of pixels. This set up is what I am not completely sure of. :-\

The PixLite 16 manual (pg5) outlines the connections to the 4 pins on their connector, assume looking at the connector:

Pin 4 (GND) Pin 1 (+V)
Pin 3 (Data) Pin 2 (CLK)

So I assume they define the CLK for some reason in their documentation, but there is only3 wires that connect to their pixels.

I had a 4 pin barrel connector that I got from Wu that would mate with the PixLite connector. So I didn't have to lop off the connector on the PixLite string, thus voiding that warranty.

In review, the P2 connectors are G-C-D-V

So I think I am Ok up to here.

I double checked all my connections to ensure they are as stated above in accordance with what I read/watched.

Attempting to run the test pattern, I clicked that box on the IP Config page and rebooted the P2. I then plugged the pixel string to the P2 and no lights. So my wiring is wrong, or the power is not going out to the pixels as I thought it would.

Can someone see where I went wrong. :eek: Thanks.

P.S. yes the String Config is set up for TLS3001

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
Hi Mark,

I'm just trying to wrap my head around what you are trying to do. Is it, connecting a PixLite String to a P2 controller? Not actually using a PixLite controller?

If so, bear in mind you are referencing the manual for the PixLite controllers - which is probably where the problem is. That diagram you are referring to, is written in there as "The pin-out of the enclosure female pigtail sockets". It is talking about the connectors on the PixLite Plug & Play controller. So if you are looking at that diagram and thinking that is the pinout for the strings - you have it mirrored.

That diagram is the diagram of what our strings actually plug IN to. So you need to make your pigtails from Ray have the pinout you see there. If you pigtails from Ray have the same pinout in that document, your PixLite strings will plug into them in correctly.

You should also verify that the pigtails he made for you are actually making a correct connection inside the plug to the lights, seeing as Ray Wu connectors are different to ours. So he would have had to make them custom for you if they do work...

zman

Full time elf
Yes, I am trying to hook PixLites to the P2 and not the PixLite controller.

On the PixLite pixel strings, looking at the connector, with the notch oriented up, what is the schematic of the pins? I guess re-reading the PixLite 16 manual, I read that wrong and was thinking of the male on the strings, and not the female on the plug for the controller :p

ltay13

Full time elf
The mirror of the one you were looking at - see below.

[attachimg=1]

Attachments

• Male Connector.png
    Male Connector.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 88

ltay13

Full time elf
Hopefully you only plugged one in the wrong way in case it is dead so you still have a known good string.

zman

Full time elf
Got it. There is one dead pixel on the string (#50), but otherwise it is fired up.

I am not that familiar with the J1Sys test pattern. It cycles though color R-G-B and then traverses one white pixel from the beginning of the string to the end.

Thanks!