ECG-P2 - Is it fried beyond repair?

ecbailey

Full time elf
Was putting together a controller box with my P2 and powered it up without checking the jumpers (careless, I know)

Jumpers were set to receive 7-40v on the power input and then output 5v to the pixels (was used to run one of Alans 2811 boards last year).

I was setting up the box to run 12v pixels, and ended up feeding 12v into the power input & 12v fed back into the pixel input into the P2.

Is it a paperweight or I have fried something fixable? If it is had it I think the DP2 looks like the best replacement...any possibility on it being back in stock on clap supplies soon?

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
Bailey need some pics of what is fried i fried my p12s when it was set to 5v on the jumpers and fed 12v straight to the board and killed mine but need some pics to see if the damage is too much

ecbailey

Full time elf
Thanks for the quick reply. The Pic32 chip looks ok to me, however the smaller one that is in your 2nd picture appears damaged. Pics below...

Attachments

• 20150925_210342.jpg
    20150925_210342.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 25
  • 20150925_210353.jpg
    20150925_210353.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 23

Kitman

Full time elf
I don't know heaps about electronics (Wish I knew more) otherwise I would be able to tell you exactly what that component is, however it looks like it could be a voltage regulator or something similar and yes your correct it seems to be the only component blown.

If it was me I would be taking a trip to my local Jaycar dealer to see if they had that exact part in stock and then try swapping it out for a new one to test the board.

There may be damage done to the chip that won't be evident until that part is replaced and power is applied, you then may let out the magic smoke from the chip which says the board is done.

If you were really enthusiastic you could measure the components that connect to the chip and make sure they are ok before you waste a few dollars on a new IC or just give it a go and watch the rest go up in a flash lol.

Just my 2 cents worth and what I have done with other electronics in the past.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
From memory that chip is a 3.3V regulator. Jaycar won't have it but Element 14 or Radio Spares will. Unfortunately as the 3.3V reg runs the main electronics you may have totaled the board. The regulators are only worth a couple dollars so it's probably worth swapping it out.