ECG-P2 Power Set up

cscool36

Full time elf
Hi All,
Just been looking at the Quick note for set on my p2.

Can I power from the pixel plug side with 5 volts?
In the common combinations you can do with 7v-40v supply back fed through pixel connector.
I think K3 = 2-3, J1 = 1-2 and J2 = 1-2.????

Thanks
Colin

Attachments

• P2 power.PNG
    P2 power.PNG
    41.5 KB · Views: 30

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Connecting via the 3rd option would likely work but as the 5V is potentially being fed from metres away the 5V probably isn't going to be especially good and it may cause issues with the micro. If the power is close to the P2 then you could probably get away with it.

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
I power all my p2s from the pixel side, but always between the controller and the first pixel. However I use 12v so that will make some difference.

If you measure 5volts at the p2 power when the pixels are all on white then I can't see a reason why not to do it.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
I just recommend not to these days as I have had many people tell me they have blown there p2 up and that is the only difference I have seen. also how many pixels are you running off each output?

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
YAGOONA LIGHTS said:
I just recommend not to these days as I have had many people tell me they have blown there p2 up and that is the only difference I have seen. also how many pixels are you running off each output?

How did they blow the P2? over voltage?

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
There's no fuse in the P2 to protect the board from shorts in the light power circuit is there?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
No fusing and no protection. If you are putting 5V out to the pixels via jumpers that very same 5V is connected directly to the micro.

cscool36

Full time elf
I will be using only 5 volts power supply. I am not using the P2 to power any of the pixels.

So I power the pixels and the P2 from the 2 pin plug at 5 volts?

mborg10

Michael Borg
cscool36 said:
I will be using only 5 volts power supply. I am not using the P2 to power any of the pixels.

So I power the pixels and the P2 from the 2 pin plug at 5 volts?

That's right but make sure you put in some fuses to protect your controller and pixels