Effect Speed slows to crawl with 64x165 tree

randallr

New elf
Finally getting my LOR converted to xLights, and built my 64x165 pixel 360 megatree. When I started testing effects, I thought the seq was dragging. Then I realized that even with the speed at the top, effects like spirals and garlands move in super slow motion. I'm assuming the speed is based on pixels/second. By using a 10,560 pixel model, an effect moves at 1/8 the speed of a 1200 pixel tree.

Is there any way around this, or is my 70' tree retrofit stuck again?

smeighan

Dedicated elf
the fact that there are so many pixel nodes in your tree is what is making the display slow. nutcracker calculates an effect in realtime. it normally can do any frame (50ms) in less than 50ms calculation time..

Your tree has 31,680 channels. On machine it looks to be doing 5-10 updates per second instead of 20. When you create an output file probably the pi player would be the best choice to make sure it can output all the data without lag.

currently xlights is a 32bit app, single threaded. when i play your tree in my xlights it uses 28% of a single cpu and 15mbytes of memory.

the team has talked about making a multi threading engine to handle higher channel count, you may be the first person who could benefit from that. The only thing you can do is make sure the cpu speed of your sequencing machine is as high as possible.

hls is the only sequencer that i think would stand a chance of handling a tree that large. you could generate the effect in xlights and then import the data into the pixel plane of hls. maybe it can pump the data out.

thanks
sean