EGC-P2 setup - First Time Pixel User

dfarcher

New elf
Hi All, So I have taken the leap into pixels, having purchased 40 strings of WS2811 from Holiday Corro, and a pair of CG-P2's to control them.

I have followed all the videos and posts I have found, but am still having issues getting control over the pixels, even just using da_e131. I believe I have the IP addressing all correct, as I can "see" data flowing to the P2 when the da_e131 is started. And my issue seems to be the same whether I use unicast or multicast. I thought I may have been having issues with the switch I was using, but I have now connected directly from the ethernet port on the pc to the P2.

I have set up the P2 with the correct jumpers internally, and have set up the universes and channels as far as I can tell.

However I can only get the first pixel to come on on both outputs, by playing with the sliders in da_e131, but then the pixels stay white, even when all data is turned of and the sliders set back to 0.

Am I missing something simple here?

Thanks in advance.
Darrin

mborg10

Michael Borg
Hi Darrin, can you post a screenshot of your P2 config page.

Silly question but have you got the pixels wires the right way round.

dfarcher

New elf
Will do in the morning Michael. Left the whole lot on the test bench at work. I believe the wiring is correct (i'm a sparky of 33 years), and in the correct direction (as in input end of the strings).

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
If you have a power issue with too many pixels hanging off a given output then you can get a latch up and nothing will respond. Generally it wouldn't be from the 1st pixel unless there is a very dramatic drop. If you measure the 5V or 12V at the far end it should be easy to see.
What may be the issue is either the clock rate not being right (I use 3200 for 2811) or that the string config isn't right. You need to configure the number of pixels and I also have the string effect set to rgb-rgb just to make sure that there is an effect for each string.

Robert

Apprentice elf
I'm guessing here,but.......... I'm gonna say, its your baud rate.

I ran into the same problem, when I first got into this addiction.

dfarcher

New elf
AAH and Robert- both correct set to baud rate to 3200 and away we went. Is there a rule of thumb, or other method to work out the correct baud rate

Alan I did check the voltage and I am only getting around .7 of a volt drop across the 50 pixel string (on full white), so I am not too worried about that.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Darrin,

In the dark past 3200 was found to be the good starting point for 2811 pixels and it is documented somewhere in the wiki.

I do have some J1Sys gear configured as low as 2400 for 2811 to combat some random flickering on long runs

Cheers

dfarcher

New elf
Phil, thanks for the info. Seems I need to read in more detail.

I am a happy camper though right now with magical blinky blinky happening on the test bench.

Cheers